5 Reasons to Consider a Career as a Defense Lawyer

Lawyers are supposed to be unbiased. Lawyers are trained to look at both sides of an issue and give equal weight to each side. It is meant to be their mantra, "My client is innocent until proven guilty."

123446
Career as a Defense Lawyer

Lawyers are supposed to be unbiased. Lawyers are trained to look at both sides of an issue and give equal weight to each side. It is meant to be their mantra, "My client is innocent until proven guilty." But if you're thinking about becoming a defense attorney, it's not this pretty simple. Defense lawyers argue that their clients are innocent because they don't want their actions to seem suspect in any way. They essentially say for the sake of the argument itself. If you're trying to decide whether or not becoming a defense attorney is something you would like to do, here are five reasons why it's worth considering:

1) You'll Be An Advocate For Your Client

Whether your client is wealthy or poor, accused of a heinous crime, or the victim of police brutality, you'll be on their side. You'll protect them throughout the entire process. This includes giving them life-saving advice when necessary, being with them at all times during questioning, and being present while they are being judged.

2) You Can Be A Voice For The Voiceless

You might have seen this happen in movies. When someone is put on trial for a crime they didn't commit, there is always one person who stands up to defend them. Sometimes it's because they think that person had no reason to do what was alleged of them; other times, it's because they knew them personally before arrest. But either way, it heartens everyone watching when the accused has someone in their corner, fighting for them.

3) You Can Enjoy A Variety Of Work

No matter what your client's specific legal needs are, you're there to serve them to the best of your ability. This can mean that you defend corporations or individuals in fights regarding employment law or personal injury. You could work alongside one team as they fight to recover large amounts of money on behalf of their clients and then get hired by someone else to maintain their privacy while doing it. It is like working at a restaurant: some nights, you might be closing up shop, and other nights you might be partying with celebrities. The variety makes it interesting enough that it doesn't get boring; however, since most people don't stay in this profession long-term, it also means that you have to keep yourself open for new challenges and changes in the law.

4) You'll Have Plenty Of People To Talk To And Interact With

The lawyer-client relationship is an interesting one. It's an essential blend of independence and intimacy. There are moments when your client will need you to be their guardian – ready to reassure them – but there are other times when they need you to be their judge – weighing how strong a case they have against a prosecution team. Even if your clients start as strangers, many lawyers find that they develop lasting relationships with people from all different walks of life over time.

5) You Will Be Respected By Your Colleagues In Other Legal Professions

Defense lawyers make up a loud minority in the legal profession. Most everybody else sees them as the opposition, making it hard to get along with them sometimes. But you don't have to worry about this; your experience is different from everyone else's because you're not only defending the rights of people who are accused of crimes, you're also helping protect their civil liberties. You'll earn respect among prosecutors and judges for that reason.

In conclusion, becoming a defense lawyer isn't easy. You have to consider all of the drawbacks and the benefits before making a decision one way or the other. But if you want something interesting, challenging, and rewarding – both personally and financially – it might be worth looking into.