7 Yummy Dorm Room Breakfasts You Can Throw Together And Still Get To Class On Time

Seven easy meals to make in your dorm, so you can make it to class on time.

533
The 5th / Pexels

As a college student, I'm no stranger to rushed mornings, barely having time to grab a granola bar on my way out the door. But after a quarter of midday cravings, and afternoon caffeine crashes, I knew it was time to make a change to my nonexistent eating routine.

So, I headed to the co-op (because in Bellingham, there's only one way to shop: local), and picked up as many organic, non-GMO ingredients as I could carry in my reusable shopping bag.

Trust me when I tell you, having a good breakfast can make or break your day. After only a week of eating full, satisfying breakfasts, I found it easier to focus in class, was in a better mood throughout the day, and even looked forward to getting out of bed. And this was all because I spent a couple extra minutes to make sure my body was nourished and ready for a productive day.

So, here are seven easy breakfasts you can make in your dorm, that have made my mornings 100% better:

1. Scrambled egg & spinach sandwich.

Ingredients: Egg(s), spinach, shredded cheese, ham (or turkey), bread

Instructions: In a microwave safe bowl (or mug), crack and stir one or two eggs. Then toss in a small handful of chopped spinach, a pinch or two of shredded cheese, and a bit of chopped ham. Then, microwave for 40 seconds, stir, and microwave another ~30 seconds, depending on how many eggs you're using.

Tip: Don't overcook! Once the eggs look mostly cooked but are still a bit runny, you should be ready to take them out. They will continue to cook for a few minutes after you take them out of the microwave.

While you're waiting for the eggs to cook, toast your bread. Finally, scoop your scrambled egg mix onto the bread, close the sandwich, and enjoy! I love this breakfast option because it takes less than five minutes to make, but is so healthy and keeps you full until lunchtime.

2. Antioxidant-packed oatmeal.

Ingredients: Oats, water (or milk), chia seeds, flax seeds, blueberries, strawberries, honey

Instructions: Simply microwave a half-cup of old fashioned oats with a cup of water or milk for two or three minutes. While you're waiting, get out everything else you're going to add to your oatmeal so it's ready to go. Next, add in about a spoonful of both chia and flax seeds and a small handful of blueberries. Toss in some chopped strawberries, about two spoonfuls of honey, and stir until everything is mixed in.

Not only is making your own oatmeal healthier than buying pre-mixed flavors because of the lack of processed sugar, but it allows you to put exactly what you want in it, and nothing more.

3. Pineapple peach smoothie.

Ingredients: Ice, milk, banana, pineapple, peach, honey

Instructions: Blend a small handful of ice, a half cup of milk (or a good splash if you aren't into measuring at 8 a.m.), a banana, and a cup of frozen pineapple chunks with a drizzle of honey until smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass, and top with a slice of pineapple to add a little sunshine to your morning.

This delicious and energizing smoothie is perfect for when you need a little boost before an exam and can be customized with just about any fruit combination to make the perfect frozen treat.

4. Avocado & black bean breakfast burrito.

Ingredients: Tortilla, avocado, black beans, lime, sour cream (or greek yogurt), cilantro, salt

Instructions: On a whole wheat tortilla, add one avocado (thinly sliced), a handful of black beans, and a pinch of salt and cilantro. Microwave until slightly warm, so the beans aren't cold if you've kept them in the fridge. Finally, add a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt, and squeeze a bit of lime on top.

This burrito fills you up just enough, but won't leave you in a food coma until dinner; and, the lime will help wake up your brain with a hint of sour.

5. Frozen blueberry parfait.

Ingredients: Blueberries, yogurt, sugar, granola, honey

Instructions: In a bowl, toss blueberries, yogurt, and a small dash of sugar (or skip the sugar if using flavored yogurt like vanilla). Try to cover as much of the blueberries with yogurt as possible, and freeze until solid.

When it's time to eat, break off as much as you want into a bowl, and add a bit of granola and honey if you want a bit of extra nutrition before heading out the door.

6. Breakfast bagel.

Ingredients: A bagel of your choice (I like plain, everything, or sesame the best), cream cheese, avocado

Instructions: I know, cream cheese and avocado? Crazy. But just try it. To make, toast your bagel, and slice up the avocado into thin pieces. Then spread on cream cheese, and add your avocado slices. I like to leave the bagel open-faced like toast.

7. Energizing banana toast.

Ingredients: Bread, honey, banana, peanut butter, chia seed

Instructions: On toast, spread peanut butter (I prefer Justin's Organic), and sprinkle chia seeds over the whole piece. Then, cover with thin banana slices, and drizzle with honey.

This toast is sweet, and almost tastes like a dessert, but the chia seeds give you an extra kick of energy, and the honey will help your brain power right through lecture.

* * *

Remember: No matter what, always try to eat at least a small snack before leaving for the day. Your body will thank you, and so will your grades.

After consistently eating healthy, effortless breakfasts, I began to feel more energetic and interested in classes. There's no limit to what you can get done in a day if you give yourself the right foundation to feel productive and awake!