8 of the Most Disgusting Parts of My Freshman Dorm

What no one ever tells you about living with other people.

236
Wordpress

Let’s start this off by saying I am, by no means, an organized person. However, there is a difference between being an organized person and a clean person. I am most certainly a relatively clean person, for I hate living in conditions that are absolutely gross. I clean my room every day and make sure it looks presentable before going out. I disinfect everything, I wipe down the mirrors, and I sometimes even vacuum the carpet.

So when I got to college, I was shocked by how many people are comfortable living in rather disgusting environments. Here are eight things, very real and very raw, that I unfortunately saw in my freshman dorm:

1. People pour leftover food in the sink, even though there is a garbage literally right next to it.

This seems like a pretty basic thing to remember. Liquids can go down the drain, but Ramen Noodles cannot. Please throw it in the trash because it backs up the sink. It really isn't that hard to pour the water in the sink, then move a foot over to pour the food in the trash.

2. No one ever cleans out the microwave when they're done using it.

This one is pretty normal in dorms, but it is still gross. No one takes the time to clean the microwave out, so the food builds up inside and makes it smell. No one wants to use a dirty microwave when all they want is to heat up left over pizza from the night before.

3. There is an array of stuff all over the staircase.

So far I have found everything ranging from dirty clothes, receipts, orange peels, banana peels, and water coating the staircase leading up to my floor. I thought this might have been normal until I talked to some of my friend’s from other dorms, who describe my dorm as “dingy and vile." Is it that hard to pick up after yourself?

4. Weird items of clothing get left everywhere and no one ever claims them.

I have no idea why this category even exists. I get it is normal to forget things when you're in a hurry, but some of the forgotten items are just things that are a little hard to forget. Some of the many things I have found in the showers have been pink fishnet stockings, underwear, and some lovely used q-tips that were also found in the hallway. Most of these items surprisingly have yet to be claimed.

5. Hair builds up in the drain to the point that it floods the bathroom.

This one is probably a big one for any girl’s dorm bathroom, but it should not get to the point where the whole bathroom starts to flood. I came to the showers for a shower, not a bath.

6. Tampons. Tampons everywhere.

Yes, I have seen both: used and unused. No words can properly describe the disgust.

7. People neglect to flush the toilet, no matter what.

It's gross, just really gross. I have seen this not once, but multiple times, and I’ve only been in college for about a month.

8. Spiders have invaded the bathroom.

Because of all this, huge spiders hang from the ceiling in our bathroom and there is not just one of them. There are multiple and every time I go in the bathroom, there seems to be more and more.

Most of these things seem like common sense to me, but apparently it is not as easy as I thought. Hopefully by reading this, many people will be able to change their ways and pick up after themselves. Still, I want to know, how can people live like this and feel okay about it?