7 Common Superstitions: Are They Real?

7 Common Superstitions: Are They Real?

Many people believe that superstitions will just cause bad luck.

518
7 Common Superstitions: Are They Real?
pexels

A superstition is a belief that is not based on reason or scientific thinking. It explains the causes for events that are connected to magic. We all have those common superstitions, whether it is walking under a ladder, or having a black cat cross our path. We also have our individualized superstitions. For example, I can't play softball with contacts in, I have to play with glasses on because I feel like I won't play well. I'm not sure why I think this way, but I just do.

1. You can’t pick up a penny on tails.

You come across a penny lying in the street, you take a quick glance and realize the tails side is facing up. You obviously can’t pick it up because it will cause you bad luck.

2. If I write my class notes in blue pen, then I have to take my test in that same exact blue pen.

I’m not quite sure why this is, some say it has an effect on your brain and memory or maybe my pen has all the answers.

3. Black cats.

The saying that has been around for years. If a black cat crosses your path, you'll be cursed with bad luck.

4. Breaking a mirror.

Break a mirror and you automatically have seven years of bad luck.

5. Knocking on wood.

No, I haven’t had a cold in four years. You say knock on wood while literally knocking on wood so that you don’t jinx yourself.

6. Crossing your fingers for luck.

We all do it. We cross our fingers and sometimes even our toes, wishing for the best.

7. Step on a crack and break your mother’s back

Even though it’s not true at all, we still do avoid the cracks when we can.

Many people believe that superstitions will just cause bad luck, but they can, in fact, be harmful as well. According to Sarah Albert, the author of “The Psychology of Superstition,” superstitions can be harmful to our lives and our personal health. They can cause great distress and anxiety which could make people go crazy. Just remember if you see a black cat cross your path and you're having a bad day, it probably wasn't the black cat that caused your bad luck it was probably just a coincidence.