The 60/40 Relationship Rule
Start writing a post
popular

The 60/40 Relationship Rule

The relationship ratio for 120 percent happiness.

20508
The 60/40 Relationship Rule
pinterest

We would all love to think we could commit 100 percent of our time and effort into a relationship. The reality is, we can’t. It’s not humanly possible. As people, we are so consumed with our own jobs, education and responsibilities. Plain and simple, we tend to worry about ourselves first. The key to making successful relationships is living by the 60/40 rule.

What is the 60/40 rule?

60/40 - Effort

With the 60/40 rule, each person should put in 60 percent and, in return, expect 40 percent back. Give 60 percent, take 40 percent.

You may read that and think that makes absolutely no sense, that only getting 40 percent back would not make for an effective relationship. That’s why this has to work on both ends of the relationship.

While both people are contributing 60 percent of their effort in the relationship, it would be simple math that the other person is only getting 40 percent of that effort back. It’s easy to think about giving 50/50 in a relationship. With this 60/40 rule, each person is so concerned about giving in 60 percent it ends up being a relationship with 120 percent giving, instead of receiving.

What about the 50/50 relationship ratio?

Both people in the relationship should feel like they are both fully committed and committed to. We’ve heard of both people putting half of their effort into the relationship, making the relationship “fair,” or “equal.” That theory is usually not so successful.

A 50/50 relationship usually implies that you are keeping score of deeds you’ve done vs. deeds your partner has done. Some of these tasks or deeds simply cannot be done as well by one person in the relationship. There’s no need to keep track of specifics. Also, you two are in a relationship. It is completely normal to occasionally “take one for the team.” Some things just have to be done to keep the relationship flowing smoothly.

60/40 - Good vs. Bad

Relationships have their ups and downs. Within the 60/40 rule of good vs. bad, it also means your relationship is going well 60 percent of the time. The other 40 percent is not so good, but completely worth fighting for.

Of course, all relationships differ; they aren’t always going to sail as smoothly as planned. Sometimes a relationship will be 60/40, sometimes 70/30 or 90/10.

When the relationship is permanently closer to a 50/50 ratio, you’re in trouble. It’s not healthy to only be content with your relationship half of the time.


As you can see, with the 60/40 relationship rule, you're getting 120 percent back. This will lead to extreme happiness for you and your loved one, because you will be more concerned about giving, rather than receiving.


Report this Content
This article has not been reviewed by Odyssey HQ and solely reflects the ideas and opinions of the creator.
Featured

Why I Don't Believe In Religion

I used to be comfortable with religion, but now I'm uncomfortable.

3303
Rebecca Jarrett

I’m not one of those people who doesn’t believe in God because“if there was a God, why would He let such horrible things happen?” Saying that because sometimes bad things happen, there must be no benevolent higher power, to me, makes about as much sense as saying that because sometimes it gets dark, there must be no light.

Keep Reading... Show less
Featured

In Honor Of Mental Health Awareness Month

An open discussion on how much we need an open discussion on mental health awareness

4157
Ashley Wen

Odyssey recognizes that mental well-being is a huge component of physical wellness. Our mission this month is to bring about awareness & normality to conversations around mental health from our community. Let's recognize the common symptoms and encourage the help needed without judgement or prejudice. Life's a tough journey, we are here for you and want to hear from you.

Keep Reading... Show less
6 Confessions Of The Celibate Christian Girl In College
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb2e_E-Hht5zoyCPBvqeHTMT91WxQwNcv34Iyg0/?taken-by=thejaniyawinchester

Do you endure a lot of persecution as a Christian but remember when you decided you wanted to "be like Christ"?

Didn't Christ suffer persecution? Didn't he suffer people talking about him, betraying him, determined to misunderstand him, and hate him?

Keep Reading... Show less
Featured

15 Affirmations To Remember During Mental Health Awareness Month

Let's lift each other up, because we are not our thoughts.

8119
15 Affirmations To Remember During Mental Health Awareness Month

Odyssey recognizes that mental well-being is a huge component of physical wellness. Our mission this month is to bring about awareness & normality to conversations around mental health from our community. Let's recognize the common symptoms and encourage the help needed without judgement or prejudice. Life's a tough journey, we are here for you and want to hear from you.

It's a topic that needs to be talked about way more than it should, especially in today's world: mental health. Whether it be anxiety, depression or O.C.D. (or anything, really), we have come to learn as a society that it's okay- and even more beneficial than you think- to openly talk about experiencing what almost everyone does inside the complex mind.

Keep Reading... Show less
Featured

We Must Speak Up For Abortion Rights Despite The Supreme Court's Intentions

A leaked document revealed the Supreme Court intends to vote on overturning Roe v. Wade.

7656
We Must Speak Up For Abortion Rights Despite The Supreme Court's Intentions
https://twitter.com/TRF_Stories/status/1523595310593110016

When Amy Coney Barrett was sworn in by the Supreme Court, she insisted overturning Roe v. Wade wasn't on her agenda. That landmark case made it possible for pregnant people across America to legally choose whether to have an abortion. There are many reasons a person would want to terminate their pregnancy. Money, age, health and sexual assault are just some of the reasons a person would choose to get an abortion.

Keep Reading... Show less
Facebook Comments