How A 6-Year-Old Taught Me A Life Changing Lesson

I wish everyone had a Chase in their life

58
Carly Mathews

I know what you're thinking: "Did a six year old really do that much? I mean besides being cute, how much life-changing are they capable of?" And I know, I know. Most six year olds, and most people in general, don't have the capacity to make that big of an impact. But, this one did and still does.

Chase is my superhero six year old. He has cerebral palsy, autism, and a whole list of other health problems that he has to battle every single day. I met this superstar four years ago, when I began teaching him swim lessons. When we started, he couldn't even get his arms out of the water and he was exhausted at the end of a thirty minute lesson. Swimming, eating, playing, and even breathing is hard for this kiddo. But if you saw him, you'd never guess that to be the case.

Despite the struggles he faces when he swims, and when he really does anything, he's never once given up. He always greets me with a smiling face, and is running to jump into the pool before me. Chase works hard, and has worked at being able to go down the big boy water slides and swim the length of the pool for the past four years. And guess what? All that hard work paid off, because he did it. He swam the length and went down the slide, while his mom and I cried on the side of the pool.

Why were you crying, you might ask? You're just his swim teacher, not his mom, not family, so why?

I was crying because this fantastic, sweet, charming, smart little boy had finally done something that not many believed he could do. He overcame another obstacle in his life, and he did it amazingly.

Chase has been my kid for the past four years. He's made me laugh, he's made me mad, and he's frustrated me to no end. But he's also taught me something incredible, and that's to never stop thinking you can do it.

I know it's cliche, and that you've probably heard it from your parents and other family a million times in your life. But I'm not them, and I'm telling you the same thing. Don't let finances, fear, or anything else stop you from doing what you know you can do. Go to that school. Apply for that prestigious internship. Go abroad. Do the things that scare you, and do the things that you've dreamed about doing your whole life.

Look at Chase. Look at his obstacles, and look how far he's come despite them. So, yes. You can do whatever you want in your life, and you can do whatever you want with your life. You only have to think that you can.