6 Ways To Give Back This Holiday

6 Ways To Give Back This Holiday

'Tis the season for giving back to those in need

5
6 Ways To Give Back This Holiday
Jeb Timms

During the holiday season, we spend our time with our families. We spend our time being grateful for who we have in our lives. We love and we laugh, and we appreciate all we have in our lives that is great. However, during this time, we sometimes forget all of those families that aren’t having a Happy Holiday.

Here are 6 ways to share some of your joy with those in need this holiday. We have so much joy in our heart, it wouldn’t hurt to share some with the world.

1. Angel Trees

You can find them everywhere. Run by the Salvation Army, these trees can be found anywhere from your local Walmart to churches in your area. Usually, these trees involve paper ornaments with some information about a specific child in need. You can then pick one of these ornaments off of the tree and purchase something to donate for that child.
It’s an easy way to give a gift to a child in need, just like you would give a gift to a child in your own family.

2. Give Blood

The American Red Cross in need of donors year-round, but during the giving season is a great time to take the leap to give the gift of life. It takes just a little bit of your time and you can aid in giving someone a life that they may not be able to live as easily without your donation.

3. Write Letters To Soldiers or Veterans

Operation Gratitude sends food, hygiene items and letters to deployed soldiers and veterans. Letters are a quick way to send someone who can’t be home for the holidays some happiness. According to their website, they have sent over 1,700,000 packages since 2003. They also accept monetary donations and you can even volunteer for their program yourself.

4. Adopt An Animal From Your Local Shelter

You have the ability to warm your toes with a new little furry pet this season! Not only will you be taking the dive to get that pet that you’ve been watching in the window of the adoption agency but you are also getting an animal out of the cold and saving them at the same time. There’s no better gift than giving the gift of a new best friend.

5. Adopt An Animal From The World Wildlife Foundation

Maybe cats and dogs aren’t your thing. Maybe you’d rather help an elephant or a three-toed sloth. Now you can! For $55 you can adopt an animal! You’ll receive information on the animal you’ve adopted, and can even receive some gifts in return, like a plush of the animal you’ve adopted!

6. Christmas Shop With Companies Who Give Back

There are lots of brands that will donate with each purchase or a percentage of their proceeds, so even if you don’t have the ability to get out there and do something, you can still make a difference! There are the brands we all know about, like Toms, who donates a pair of shoes to a child in need with every shoe purchase. But then there are more hidden brands. The Comfort Store will donate a comforter to a homeless child with every comforter purchase. Find some that are accessible in your area and help others while also marking little Jimmy off your shopping list!

No matter how you choose to give back this year, just remember that giving back means giving someone a happy holiday who may not have had one without you.