6 Ways To De-Stress During Finals Week

6 Ways To De-Stress During Finals Week

Don't stress yourself out to the point that you forget to eat or stay hydrated.

78
6 Ways To De-Stress During Finals Week
Flickr

If you are a college student, you are probably well aware that finals season is among us, which means an overload of papers, final projects, and of course EXAMS. Every semester around this time, the mood on campus suddenly shifts into a frenzy of stress, and sometimes it feels like you will not ever get through it. Libraries are overcrowded, everyone is freaking out, and this can become all too overwhelming. Being a student who commutes to campus every day helps me alleviate the stress that comes with simply being around other people who are stressed, but whether you live on campus or not, here are some tips to help you de-stress during finals season.

1. Make a Schedule

Nothing stresses me out more than having a million things to do, but not being able to figure out how I am going to get it all done. One thing that I really pushed myself to do this semester was to use a planner. All my life I have tried to do this, but every semester I fail within a week. I have gotten lazy with it for the past month, but for the majority of the semester I was filling out my planner daily, and breaking down when I needed to work on which assignments, to ensure that they all got done in a timely manner, causing the least amount of stress possible. And let me tell you, IT WORKS. Rather than procrastinating and having to sit down for hours at a time to finish an assignment the night before, break it down into thirty minute sessions each day, and I promise you won't be stressing as much when the due date rolls around.

2. Create a Playlist

This is something that personally helps me a lot. Music is such an important part of my life, and sometimes it really helps to just put those headphones in, and shut out the world for a little while. Whether you take a break to just relax with some music, or you put on a playlist while you study, music is definitely something that can really help during such a stressful time.

3. Meditate

This might seem silly, but taking time to meditate, do yoga, or just finding a minute to stop and breathe is something that can be a huge benefit during finals week. As college students it can be easy to get into full speed mode to plow through the end of the semester, but it is also important to make sure we are taking time to make sure our minds are healthy too. Don't spend hours on end studying- TAKE BREAKS. You do not want to wear yourself out to the point where you can't do any more. Because all that studying won't mean a thing if you can't comprehend the finals and assignments in front of you.

4. Stay Hydrated and Well Fed

This is another one that is extremely important to keep in mind not just during finals week, but all the time. Don't stress yourself out to the point that you forget to eat or stay hydrated. It is imperative to keep your mind and body healthy if you want to be as successful as possible. Take breaks from studying and have dinner with friends or family. But also, practice these healthy habits all of the time.

5. Take Warm Showers

Not only is this important for hygiene purposes, but taking hot showers or baths can be extremely helpful in de-stressing. Take time to do this.

6. SLEEP

Last, but certainly not least, I implore you to get enough sleep. Again, not only during finals but all of the time. We sometimes get this idea as college students that we have to pull all-nighters constantly, but that is certainly not good for our minds or our bodies. This goes back to my first point about making an agenda. If you take the time beforehand to plan out what you have to do each day of the week, you really won't need to stay up all night to get things done. Also, take naps during the day if you find yourself feeling overloaded and stressed. Sleep is necessary, and sleep is good.

As you approach finals season, keep these six points in mind. College can be stressful, but it doesn't have to be too hard. Make a schedule, listen to music, practice good hygiene and mental health, and get some sleep. Finals shouldn't have to be stressful, and besides, you've got this!