6 Tips On Eating Healthy At The Dining Hall

It's not as hard as it seems.

1674

I'm pretty sure every dining hall on every college campus serves pizza every hour of every day. As soon as you walk through the doors, the smell of pizza smacks you in the face. But somewhere behind all of the pizza and macaroni and cheese, there are some hidden healthy options. It's extremely hard to eat healthy in college, especially if you are still on a meal plan.

1. Take Advantage Of The Ice Machine

If your dorm looks anything like mine, the water from the water fountains is warm and there is not an ice maker to be found. Bring a water bottle with you every time you go to the dining hall to refill it with lots of ice and water!

2. Check The Vegan Section

This might not sound appetizing to many since the word "vegan" is enough to make people turn the other way. However, you may be surprised with what this section has to offer!

3. Skip The Dessert

It is always so tempting to grab a cupcake or cookie as you're walking past the dessert section but I promise you'll feel better if you don't! Grab an apple or banana on your way out instead. This might not sound appetizing at the moment but your body will thank you.

4. Load Up On Veggies!

I would recommend getting a salad every time you go to the dining hall! No matter what you get for your entree, pairing it with a fresh salad is never a bad idea. Take advantage of the raw veggies and try to make them a part of your meal every chance you get!

5. Try The Breakfast

Whether you're going to the dining hall the morning after going out with your friends or you're trying to grab a bite before your 10 a.m., always try to start your day as healthy as you can. The eggs might not always look appetizing but try making a special request for egg whites or however you would like your eggs and they will be made fresh for you!

6. Don't Get Sucked In By The Fountain Drink Machine

This goes back to number one. Always, always, always drink water when you go to the dining hall! It is extremely tempting to drink some pop/soda with your lunch but drinking water is 100 times better for you and you will notice that. Go crazy with your water consumption while you're at the dining hall and your body will thank you!!!

In order to eat healthy at the dining hall, you have to try. Healthy options aren't going to be available for you right as you walk in the door. But if you look around, the healthy options are there! It might be hard to transition but there's nothing better you could do for your body than filling it with nutritious foods!!!