6 Thoughts From A Second Semester Senior

Can you tell I'm not ready to graduate?

4
The Atlantic

Well, it's the end of January now and that means saying goodbye to the month you just spent on the couch watching Netflix and hello spring semester. A lot of things associated with spring are good, like spring break and not having to put on a tundra coat every time you go outside, but for seniors, it means graduation is quickly approaching and there's nothing you can do to stop it so that's terrifying.

As a second semester senior myself, here are some of the thought processes I've had during my first week back:

1. I'm allowed to drink an entire bottle of wine on a Monday because I have to graduate soon and that's a good enough reason all by itself.

2. I'm definitely not going to succumb to senioritis the way I did around this time my senior year of high school.

Except, my anthropology professor assigned a lot of reading that really isn't going to make a difference in my life in the long run so maybe I'll just not read it. Yeah, definitely a better idea.

3. Being completely stuck in between wanting to be done with school and wanting to stay here forever.

Like, I don't want to do anything while I'm here but also please don't make me leave because being an adult seems horrible.

4. Using "because I have to be an adult soon" as an excuse to make completely horrible, irrational, impulsive decisions.

5. Having a minor breakdown at the mere mention of the words "graduation," "jobs" and "student loans."

Please don't use those words around me, I find them personally offensive.

6. Maybe I'll just switch my major right now so they have to let me stay. Maybe I suddenly have a new passion in marine biology and need to start school all over again.

Plot twist, I'm actually a freshman! Graduation just seems so horrible.