Credit: http://infinityperformingarts.org/new-student-orientation-15/
Pin It

6 Things You Say at Orientaiton

vs. What You Actually Mean

Add to Collection

To add this article to a collection, you must be logged in.

Orientation week has begun and it may feel as if you're saying the same things over and over again, most likely because you are. Oftentimes, these phrases become trite and you don't actually mean what you say, but you're trying to be polite. Here are some translations to explain what you actually mean with the common questions that you're asking.

1. What You Say: "What dorm are you in?"

Image result for dorms

What You Mean: "Am I going to have to see you on a daily basis?"

2. What You Say: "What major are you thinking of doing?"

Image result for college majors

What You Mean: "Do you have the same major as me? Are we going to be in the same classes? Can you help me survive this semester?"

3. What You Say: "Where are you from?"

Image result for hawaii state

What You Mean: "Are you from some place fun and exotic? Like Hawaii? No? Oh, you're in-state. All right, well now we have nothing to talk about."

4. What You Say: "What classes are you taking?"

Image result for college classes

What You Mean: "I hope you're in this class that I'm really bad at so that you can help me study for it and I hope you know what you're doing because I don't."

5. What You Say: "What clubs/activities are you thinking of joining?"

Image result for college clubs and activities

What You Mean: "Do we have anything in common? Wait, you're a theater person too? Okay, so are you joining this club and that club?"

6. What You Say: "I hope I'll see you around campus!"

Image result for college campus

What You Mean: "I have no idea what else to say and I'm pretty sure I won't see you around campus, but have a fun semester."

Sometimes I think it's socially acceptable to wear PJs all day and watch Netflix.#JHU19

Like Odyssey on Facebook