6 Things to Do To Start Your New Year

6 Things to Do To Start Your New Year

As the sun rises on 2020, I've made changes in my life to start off on the right foot.

1
6 Things to Do To Start Your New Year

Coming into 2020, I knew that I needed to change my lifestyle if I wanted to be happier and find direction in my life. I have compiled a short list of the changes that I have made so far and that I encourage you to apply to your own life if you feel unhappy or bored.

1.) Changing the Way that You Eat I think that developing a healthy relationship with eating is an essential component of leading a healthy life. In a society where new fad diets are created each day, it can be difficult to know when and what you should be eating to obtain optimal health benefits. I personally decided to try intermittent fasting which is an eating schedule on which you refrain from eating for an extended period of the 24 hour day. In my case, I fast for 16 hours of the day. I find that intermittent fasting has helped me to stop unnecessary and incessant snacking; I notice having more energy and less cravings.

2.) Changing Your Attitude A huge part of my life that I wanted to change was my attitude towards others and towards myself. Although applying positivity to one's life is definitely harder than it sounds, I think that it is worth the effort. In order to be more positive in my daily life I decided to practice gratitude and connect with my reflective side. Hence, each night I write in my journal, reflecting on what I am grateful for.

3.) Setting Up Personal Goals I think that leading a life with purpose involves having personal goals to stride towards. I personally struggle with communication. While away at college, I find it difficult to set aside time for phone calls with my parents and friends from home. I know that cutting off communication lines with those that you love can have dire consequences in the future so this year I am working on prioritizing the relationships that I value.

4.) Get a New Haircut On the first day of 2020 I chopped off 6 inches of my hair. Whether you dye your hair, trim it, or get bangs, changing your hairstyle can be a liberating way to demonstrate control and enact change in your life.

5.) Reinvent Your Wardrobe If there's room for it in your budget, reorganizing and adding to your wardrobe can be a fun way to start the new year. Honing your stylistic desires can be a great way to kickstart a year of achieving your goals and desires.

6.) Redirect Energy Toward What You Are Passionate About By the end of 2019, I realized that I was spending very little time doing what I like. Whatever free time that I had was primarily spent watching Netflix, on my phone, or hanging out with friends. Sometimes it is nice to enjoy down time, but I realized that I had completely stopped devoting any time to doing what I enjoy like journaling or photography. This year, I aim to spend time each day, developing my passions and hobbies.