6 Things You Can Do This Summer To Prevent Losing Everything You Learned

To keep the beach waves from washing away what you learned and to maintain a sharp brain, here's 6 things you can do to make the transition in the fall a bit easier.

161

When the summer sun hits your face, the smell of chlorine fills your nose, and the flip-flop tan-lines cross your feet, it's so easy to forget that school even exists. When August rolls around, you tend to feel more like a starfish than a star student. Because of countless days spent at the pool, whatever education you received last year has been completely wiped from your brain.

To keep the beach waves from washing away what you learned and to maintain a sharp brain, here are six things you can do to make the transition in the fall a bit easier.

1. Take A Summer Class

Summer classes may not be practical for everyone, but if you find yourself with some extra time during the week, take a look at what classes your college might offer. You would be surprised to find that an hour for a couple nights a week isn't as unbearable as you thought. Plus, you have more credits under your belt.

2. TED Talks and Podcasts

Until a previous teacher convinced me to listen to the Podcast Serial by This American Life, I would laugh at anyone that said they enjoyed listening to Podcasts. Prior to listening to Serial, I thought Podcasts were nothing but boring talk show radio clips for senior citizens or middle-aged scholars.

I was completely mistaken. I found myself looking forward to any time I would have to drive my car somewhere just so I could listen to the next episode. Don't believe me? Try listening to Serial by This American Life.

3. Engage in Meaningful Literature

I wouldn't have to worry about college tuition if I had a dollar for every time I was completely shocked by how much I enjoyed a work of classical literature that I told myself, before reading, that I would hate. After forcing myself to open multiple books that were written far before my time but considered to be great, I found myself transitioning from a girl that would only read young adult novels to one that adored the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, George Orwell, and so many more.

4. Talk About More Than The Weather and Celebrities

No matter how easy it may be to resort to a conversation about the royal wedding or today's high temperature, I urge you to try to ask questions. Find out how people really feel about things in life that are a bit farther under the surface. However, it may be extremely awkward to ask the cashier at the gas station about the meaning of life, so start small with family and friends. You might be surprised to find out that even though your mom told you not to worry about monsters under the bed, she actually does believe in ghosts.

5. Look for Summer Internships or Workshops

Shuffle through Facebook or go old-school and check out a local newspaper for opportunities that seem interesting to you. Look through your college's newsletter or website to find out if they're offering anything that could be to your advantage in the future. The beekeeping workshop may not pique your interest, but the creative writing workshop might.

6. Speaking of Creative Writing...

Find out if your college has an Odyssey team! We are always looking for new creators and fresh perspectives. Get your voice out there, tell us what you're passionate about, grow your writing skills, establish your identity, and meet people who will become your family. Becoming an Odyssey creator is one of the best decisions I ever made.

You can apply at:

https://about.theodysseyonline.com/apply/