6 Things I Wish I Had Known As A Freshman

Because freshman year is stressful and weird.

9
Mike Baird

Coming to college was terrifying. I attended the same school from pre-school until graduation, and I graduated in a class of fourteen people. I had the same friends for as long as I could remember and moving to a new city where I was completely alone was really hard for me. Freshman year was incredibly overwhelming, but I got through it. Now, I love college, and being in school is just another part of my life. I love Nashville and my classes and all of the people that I've met. It took time, but I made college my new home. Here is some advice that I wish I had known before entering college as a freshman.

1. You can be anything you want to be.

Coming to college, I was so nervous that I wouldn't be able to live up to everyone's expectations, especially the expectations I had for myself. I panicked because I wasn't really sure about a major yet, and I felt as if everyone around me had their lives together and had plans while I didn't. I felt completely unprepared coming to school, but now that I've been in college for awhile, I feel confident about my future. At first, I was overly concerned about the rest of my life until I realized that I not only had plenty of time to figure that out but also had the entire world open to me. Honestly, freshmen, just breathe. You can be anything that you want to be, and do anything that you want to do, and you have your entire life to figure it out. You don't have to magically get your life together during your freshman year. It's okay to change your major, or to be undecided or to have no plan. This is the one time in your life where there aren't major consequences for not having a plan. Don't stress, and let yourself relax.

2. You'll drift apart from your high school friends, and that's okay.

Okay, I love my high school friends. My high school friends are the people that have known me the longest, who love me the deepest and who have been with me through the best and worst phases of my life. My college friends are the type of friends who I am much closer to, but in a very different and more intimate way. I live and spend most of my day with my college friends, and living with someone is a different relationship than just going to school with someone. I had a really hard time coming to college and leaving all my friends from home behind, especially since I had grown up with most of them and because we were all so close. But being in school showed me how to make new relationships outside of the ones I was most comfortable with. While I miss my friends from high school, I've come to accept our drifting apart - everyone's busy, we have different schedules, live in different time zones, etc. It's okay. It's a part of growing up. You can still remain close to people from home, but it's okay to do that from a distance.

3. No one cares.

I'm the type of person that self-analyzes everything that I do. I'm incredibly self-conscious. Coming to college as a somewhat shy person was terrifying because I felt like everyone was watching and judging me, waiting for me to do something stupid. But I quickly discovered: no one cares. Really. No one cares. No one is watching you and judging you like people might have done in high school. College is amazing because it's the one time in your life when you are around so many people from so many different places, and everyone embraces the diversity. Everyone has different personalities and interests and senses of style and culture, and it's celebrated. Be who you want to be - no one cares and no one will judge you.

4. Everyone is just as nervous as you are.

This is kind of self-explanatory. College is scary for everyone. You aren't alone in your social anxiety, homesickness and stress. Even if you see people who appear to not be experiencing these things their freshman year, they are.

5. Being independent isn't everything you thought it would be.

Personally, I was ready to move out and start my life in the big city. I was so sure of myself and my ability to do everything that real adults do. But here's the thing: I'm not an adult yet. I'm still learning. My freshman year was basically me pretending to know how to take care of myself and make appointments and open bank accounts, even though half the time, I wished that my mom was around to do all of those things for me. Being independent is really great, but it's also a learning experience. It's okay that you aren't fully independent yet. You're still a kid, really, and it's okay to rely on your parents for some things. Being an adult takes time.

6. Step out of your comfort zone.

Basically, the entirety of freshman year is you stepping out of your comfort zone. Meeting people, starting classes and realizing that you have no money are all uncomfortable things that you will experience as a freshman. But besides all of that, make an effort to go to events and do activities that you aren't necessarily comfortable with. You'll enjoy it after you do it because, let me remind you, no one cares, and no one is judging. Push your limits and make the most out of your college experience.