6 Simple Special Effects Makeup Ideas For Your Halloween Costume

The best Halloween costume is when it doesn't look like a costume.

2702
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/25/636445539047037938263544401_Frostbite%20Makeup.jpg

Makeup is usually meant to improve your facial features right? Well what about instead of making you more attractive, makeup made you look like you've been dead for 1000 years, or in a horrible car accident. What if you could look like a mermaid or even a victim of one of Jigsaw's awful games? Special effects makeup is meant to change the dimensions and features of your face is such a drastic way, you may not even look human anymore. This type of makeup has been circulating the internet on platforms like Facebook and Pinterest and while it may look impossible unless you are a professional,anyone is capable of applying this makeup. You don't have to worry about purchasing super expensive makeup either, one of those cheesy packs found at your local Halloween store will work just fine. In this list, I am going to give you the best, easy to create looks that will be perfect for Halloween.

1. Melted Makeup

This look can take on multiple types of themes or costumes. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was "House of Wax". Remember that movie? Of course you can put your own spin on the eerie melted makeup look, plus it's super easy to create! Honestly, you can use just about anything that will drip for a bit and then dry (you can get creative), but for people who want this to look as realistic as possible, I would suggest looking into Ben Nye Scar Effects Gel or the clear colored Flesh Effects Gel. They both cost only $10.00 a bottle.

A recommendation with the look is to make your lipstick as bright as possible, lashes as dark as possible, and make your eyebrows stand out. This is because you want your lashes and lipstick to look like there was a hefty enough amount for it to be sliding off and still covering your face. With your eyebrows, when you put the gel on your skin, it is going to be very easy to loose sight of one or both eyebrows. Make them darker then they are naturally and draw them a bit bigger so you don't loose any of the character because it looks like you're missing an eyebrow.

2. Cosmetic Surgery Gone Wrong

A black marker and little big of fake blood (or flour, water, and food dye) can go a long way. This look requires little to no artistic ability so for you folks with a... lack thereof. Pick out some simple cosmetic surgery marks and draw them on your face; make sure you use a marker that is going to last through smearing, rain, wind, and sweat.

Now for the blood, you can either buy a small bottle of a more professional fake blood, or you can look up fake blood and get about 100 different recipes. My favorite recipes are the ones that use corn syrup and chocolate syrup along with the rest of the basic ingredients and dye. These recipes will be thick enough to be believable, it will be edible, and it also have the most realistic look.

3. Gory Flowers

While this one may look a big harder, don't worry. All you'll need for this look it some fake blood, scar wax, fake flowers, liquid latex, and spirit gum (don't forget the remover!). Each of these items will cost around $5, so all added up, it's still less than a Halloween costume. Some of these items can be left out, such as the liquid latex, I just don't recommend it if you want to make this makeup as real and long-lasting as possible.

The great thing about this look it that you can vary where and on how big of a surface you want to make this design. Scar wax requires a bit of hand molding but once you've got it, it will help you create a much more realistic cut. As for getting the flowers to stay in place, I would suggest sticking them right into the scar wax and sealing that up with liquid latex.

4. Harry Potter, "I must not tell lies."

Scar wax is going to be your BFF for anything requiring cuts or gashes on the skin. Just smooth out some scar wax onto the top of your hand and add some texture to it using a sponge to give it that "skin" look. Carefully carve the words into to scar wax using a needle or safety pin and then add fake blood accordingly. To make the skin look like it is irritated, you can really use any red substance, blush being the easiest. Ben Nye also has some great creme makeup wheels that you can use.

5. Old Age

Old age makeup is something that can be done a multitude of ways. You can simply use creme makeup, shading and blending certain areas of your skin to make it appear sunken in and wrinkled, or you can use liquid latex to help give yourself wrinkles and then go over it with makeup. Hair dye for your eyebrows and hair is a good idea unless you would prefer a wig. There are also some techniques of old age makeup where you can create age spots, add moles or warts, and create a larger nose. Old age is also a great foundation if you are looking to become a witch for Halloween.

6. Frostbite

Frostbite makeup is one of the most unique special effects makeup ideas I've found. Doing frostbite makeup requires you to also know a little bit about how frostbite actually occurs (such as what parts of your body will get frostbite before other parts). Now if you're just going to work on your face, the picture above will give you that information. Any part of your face that is prominent and protrudes even the slightest bit will be more susceptible to frostbite, which is why those places are where you are going to apply your makeup. This tutorial video from Courtney Coppa will tell you exactly how to create the above look.

As a quick last note to anyone looking to try one of these looks or ANY special effects makeup, please be careful when working with things like liquid latex, spirit gum, or any sharp tools. Never put any product that isn't meant for you eyes too close to your eyes and make sure that if you are using spirit gum, you also have remover for it.