6 Signs You Need The Beach In Your Life

6 Signs You Need The Beach In Your Life

"if the ocean can calm itself so can you. we are both salt water mixed with air." -meditation, nayyirah waheed

64
6 Signs You Need The Beach In Your Life

If you're anything like me, you crave the beach. Salty air, sandy toes, cold drinks, tan lines, bumping music, and great company. The beach creates this sense of peace and tranquility, but also shows you a good time. But there are times when your craving for the beach is so great that it forces you to take some time out of your busy schedule to take a drive (or an airplane ride) to the water. We're busy people, you and me. We deserve the break. Even in the winter, if it's just to bundle up and walk along the shoreline, the trip is worth it. You'll come back with a clearer head and things will seem a little less hazy. It's quite a moment when you're looking out into this massive body of water and realize that your problems really aren't that big and just seem to fade away. Well, at least mine do. There are specific times when I need the beach (or just the sound of waves crashing) more than ever, and actually, this past weekend seemed to be one of those times.

1. Stress...stress...STRESS!

Whether it's school, work, homework, all of the above or something else, stress takes a toll on our bodies. It fogs our minds and consumes us to a point in which we can't control or come down from. When you start to feel this way, travel to the beach. Sit in the sand and let the crashing waves take over your mind. You'll get everything done that you need to get done in enough time.

2. Emotions.

Almost going hand-in-hand with overwhelming stress, sometimes emotions can start to build up until it gets to a point where you just want to scream. Or cry. Whichever. Do yourself a favor: drive to the nearest beach and yell. Curse the name of the boy who broke your heart, swear that you'll quit your job because you're fed up with getting walked all over, throw shells into the water while you yell to the best friend who wasn't there, kick sand and ask God why he took away the person who meant the most to you. Do it all. Get it out. You'll feel better when you do. Sometimes it's nice to open up, even if no one is there to respond.

3. Overthinking kills your happiness.

I know you've probably heard it a million times, especially if you're anything like me. I tend to overthink things until it gets to a point where I'm making up situations in my head that don't even make sense, let alone are anything close to the truth. It's all about the "what ifs" and the "if only I did this." I'm going to tell you now to stop it. It's a lot easier said than done but stop thinking, take off your shoes and walk along the water. Look out onto the horizon and let your mind be. It'll stop working so hard and it'll turn overdrive off.You'll finally be at a point of peace and levelheadedness. You'll see things in a clearer sense and be able to pick out what you should be focusing on and what you shouldn't be focusing on.

4. "Me time" is ok.

Don't you ever just need a personal day? Either from school or from work? I know I do. I need my time to myself, too. And that's perfectly ok to take time to do that. Focus on yourself because to you, you're the one that should matter the most. Don't worry about other people, even for just ten minutes. Focus on you. Do something for you for once because I know you don't take time for you.

5. To get away from all the noise in your life.

Again, life is overwhelming. We as humans deal with a lot of crap in our daily lives. We beat ourselves up and work ourselves to the bone every day. Life is busy and loud and hectic and chaotic. I get it. We're riding the struggle bus together and I do not see a stop nearby. It's crazy, but it's life and we have to learn how to deal with it. And if that means that every so often, I have to drive to the shore to get away from it all, this life thing may not be so bad after all. Sometimes, the noisiest thing I need is the waves crashing into each other and breaking on the ocean floor. That's the noise I need to hear every one in a while.

6. Just because...

Although there are plenty of specific reasons that I can pick apart for why you need the beach in your life, sometimes you need it just because. You're not exactly sure why but you just do. You miss it, or it's been a while, or you got bored and felt like driving somewhere, or you just ended up ere subconsciously. Whatever the reason, everybody needs a little beach in their life and I truly feel for the people who never get to experience something as absolutely mesmerizing as the ocean and the beach. (Yes, I'm talking about you, Midwesterners. Find a beach and get to one, you won't be sorry and you'll be thanking me.)