6 Secrets Of Peru State College

6 Secrets Of Peru State College

If you think you knew everything about campus, think again.

927
6 Secrets Of Peru State College

Peru State College, while small, still holds its share of mysteries. Because it is the first college founded in Nebraska, its history since its 1865 founding is wild and sometimes dark. From ghost sightings to secret tunnels, Peru State College hides secrets from everyone.

1. The library's swimming pool

Peru State College has a swimming pool, believe it or not. It's not exactly usable, though. On the lower level in the library, there is a swimming pool... that's filled in with concrete. Before the Al Wheeler Activity Center (AWAC) was built, the library housed the gym and the swimming pool.

2. Secret tunnels.

Peru has a network of underground tunnels that connect all of the buildings. They aren't safe to enter anymore, but when they were, students used them to get between buildings in the winter. Some of the maintenance workers have to enter the tunnels to work on pipes, and they say that it's unbearably hot down there. Not to mention radios don't work well. The tunnels are filled with pipes and steam, connecting the basements of many buildings on campus.

3. Ghost Hunters: Peru State Edition

Whether you believe in ghosts or not, it's pretty widely circulated that several buildings around campus might be haunted. Eliza Morgan Hall, the women's dormitory on campus, is said to be haunted by Eliza herself. The basement gives people the creeps on a regular basis, and some say that after the renovation, the weird atmosphere has lessened. Eliza even has her own Facebook page!

The theatre also has had some ghostly activity. There is a door that leads to the costume shop, which opens onto the balcony. Sometimes, during rehearsals, actors on stage have seen a figure passing the open door of the costume shop. When they've yelled up to see who was working up there, the room is empty. Additionally, during a production of "The Rocky Horror Show," the door slammed in the middle of a rehearsal. Those in theatre often affectionately refer to the ghost as "Steve."

4. The Whispering Bench

The Whispering Bench isn't technically part of the campus, but it's definitely worth checking out. The Whispering Bench is a seating area just outside of the cemetery on California Street. If the wind is right, sitting on the oddly shaped bench enables you to hear echoes more clearly, and sometimes it even sounds like someone far away is whispering.

5. The Electric Bridge

Another classic destination for any Peru State College student is The Electric Bridge. People who visit this spot in the middle of nowhere just north of Peru say that a light bulb will light up when it comes in contact with the metal of the bridge. This is probably caused by an underground cable that runs near it. Gather your friends and see if the light bulb rumor is true!

6. Genie's Hollow

When someone walks south on the Steamboat Trace Trail from Peru, they can see all kinds of carvings hewn into the sandstone on the right of the trail. These carvings were crafted by Roland Sherman, a local Peru artist who passed away in 2007. One can find coats of arms and even skeletons artfully chiseled into the soft stone, but the masterpiece resides in a clearing just off of the trail. The Genie's unsettling visage protrudes from the wall, blocked off by a small wooden fence to prevent vandalism. It's always a good idea to leave some change with him for good luck!