6 Reasons Why I Love Being A Student-Athlete

563

I never knew what exactly to expect when I committed to being a Division I student-athlete. Little did I know, deciding to become a student-athlete was one of the best decisions of my life. The years have been full of many ups and downs, but all of the blood, sweat and tears have been worth it. Here are six reasons why I love being a student-athlete:

1. My teammates.

I have a home away from home. My teammates are my second family. It's a type of bond you can't find anywhere else. They have seen me at my best and at my worst. They get me through the hardest of workouts, pushing me past my limits.

2. Traveling.

Being an athlete has given me the opportunity to travel to new places. My team primarily competes in the Midwest, but it still makes for great experiences. The bus and plane rides never fail to be entertaining. Traveling is the time when you really get to bond with and get to know your teammates.

3. Getting to see the sun rise.

Okay, I admit that morning practice can be far from enjoyable, but I love the feeling after finishing a tough workout before the day even begins. When you're leaving practice and see the sky looking like this, the high is definitely worth the pain.

4. Getting to represent my school.

I absolutely love my school and everything it stands for. I'm blessed with the opportunity to be a representation of my school wherever I go. There is no greater feeling than putting on my school logo before I compete.

5. The team swag.

The day coach begins to hand out the dry-fit shirts, shoes, sweat pants, jackets, warm ups and gear is like Christmas. No need to go shopping because you know what you will be wearing for the rest of the year.

6. The challenge.

Although, there are some days when I feel like I can’t make it through, I love the challenge of being a student-athlete. We not only have to stay on top of our schoolwork, but we have to push our bodies to their physical limits day in and day out. At the end of the season looking back, I feel no greater sense of accomplishment.