6 Reasons Why Being The Youngest Is The Best

Calling all babies!

9

If you are from a big family, or have siblings in general, you understand how important your siblings are. Friends are important, of course, and there are some friends who practically are siblings, but there is no one who can replace the ones you grew up with and have known you since the beginning. My siblings and I are extremely close and each one is special to me for different reasons. With Thanksgiving just behind us now, I had been thinking a lot about what exactly I am thankful for and each time my siblings were at the top of the list. Now, having siblings is amazing no matter where you come in line, but being the baby is hands down the best position to be in for so many reasons!

1. We could get away with murder.

This point is the stereotypical tag line for the youngest sibling, but it is true beyond belief! There are things that my siblings wouldn't dare do, but being the baby I use to my advantage. I can remember countless occasions where I took something from my sisters like makeup or meaningless jewelry, but of course if they had done the same it would have been a war-zone! When I took it and my sisters would get mad, there was always mom to the rescue with, "Oh she's just little and she wants to be like you." Other times I would stay up late watching movies or shows that I shouldn't have been. Of course my mom found out, but with three older siblings how could I not be curious about what they were aloud to watch and I couldn't? My favorite part about being the youngest is getting away with messes. I am a huge foodie and love to cook, but cleaning up is not my forte. My mom would get extremely mad at my siblings for messes, but as for me in the kitchen? She gets annoyed, but I am a passionate cook! She would never try to dull that passion! Although being the youngest I do get away with a lot, the things I wouldn't usually get away with my siblings help me out with. Coming home from school one year with a C on my report card was not what I was looking forward to in middle school. My mom was not happy until my sister Becca came rushing to my side to tell my mom I was showing up her grades and I tried my hardest! I'm not sure how that argument would have ended without my big sister.

2. We learn from the best.

Being the youngest means we learn from the best! I have three older siblings to learn from and I am beyond thankful! Without my sister Lea, I would not know how to save money, put on mascara, talk to boys, appreciate a good Lifetime series or know how to celebrate a good birthday! Without Rebecca I wouldn't know how to forgive just about anyone, be strong despite those who want to tear me down, who Santa really was or how to match my shoes perfectly. Without Anthony I would have never learned the value of the word 'no', how to be an adventurous eater, how to be determined and appreciate those smarter than I or how to comfort and be there for people as he always is for me. I have learned innumerable lessons that they have taught me, but there are so many lessons that they did not even mean for me to learn as well. I have watched each of them date and get hurt, fail and get up again, succeed and be humble and deal with the consequences of various life circumstances. Because I got to watch them, there are so many instances that I never had to let down because they did it for me. Of course, just because we learn from the best doesn't mean sometimes we don't make the same mistakes regardless.

3. Mom and Dad are broken in already.

This is one point I will never fully understand, but my siblings make sure I always hear about. Apparently my parents weren't as lax with my siblings as they are with me. I was never hassled about dates, told I couldn't go to an after prom party or interrogated about why I was five minutes late. My siblings did not have it so easy and I am always reminded. My dad had already sat down with countless boys asking about their intentions with his daughters and my mom learned that all her kids always came back safe whether she called 75 times or not. By the time I was in high school my parents were smarter, broken in and probably a little tired. I am beyond grateful for this one.

4. There's always someone to call for help.

Friends are great to call when you are in need, but when you are caught in sticky situations your friends are usually right by your side. It is a good thing I have memorized my siblings' cell phone numbers because I call them a lot. When I need a ride, when I'm crying, when I don't know how much butter mom puts in her cookies, when I need an honest opinion, if I look okay, when mom won't answer her phone, when I need a laugh, when I'm sick, when I need boy advice, when I think it is a good idea to cry at a party and need them to make me feel better; the list goes on. I call my siblings for everything and since they are older they have usually been through the same dilemma.

5. Hand-me-downs.

Not every little sibling is happy they get hand me downs. Seeing some of my friends old pictures, I understand why, but with my sisters style I jump for joy when I get them! I am my sister Lea's mini-me and that goes for clothes too. She always had a good sense of style and bought the best clothes from Polo to Juicy Couture and I GOT ALL OF IT! Spring cleaning would come around every year and I would donate my clothes to the Salvation Army just to go shopping in my sister's filled to the brim garbage bags. As a broke college student I still get hand me downs from Lea and I have never wanted them more!

6. We've got an army.

My favorite part about being the youngest is that I have an army to back me up. From break ups to breakdowns, friend feuds to fist fights, they come in full force and ready to take down anyone who is trying to stop my smile. Being the youngest means I have 24 hour protection, from bigger, better versions of me. So.... WATCH OUT!