6 Reasons To Move Out Of Your Residence Hall And Into An Apartment ASAP

Upgrades, people! Upgrades!

14
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.housing.msstate.edu%2Fhalls%2Fhull-hall%2F&psig=AOvVaw3UkwN2QL8jyuynIt-sbxgr&ust=1601581416756000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKDrsvDRkewCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAb

There are pros and cons to living in a dorm versus an apartment. Last year when thinking about signing a lease, I was extremely worried. Renting your first apartment is a big step and can be scary, but after living here for a few months I can definitely say it was SO worth it. If you're currently debating whether or not to make the switch from dorm to apartment as a college student, here are my thoughts.

1. There's way much more space

fabulous cyd charisse GIF by Warner ArchiveGiphy

This is kind of a no-brainer, but it makes all the difference. Don't settle for sharing a literal 8x10 box with someone else! Get your own space it's so much nicer.

2. You can cook!

dog cooking GIFGiphy

Okay, technically in most residence halls there is a kitchen of sorts, however you probably can only fit a mini-fridge in your room, and pots and pans take up a ton of space. Being able to cook is not a luxury I plan on giving up anytime soon, and it's so much healthier than eating at the dining halls.

3. PARKING.

police academy parking GIFGiphy

RIP to anyone who lived in North Resident campus at MSU. We moved our cars every Saturday, sometimes you had to park a 15 minute walk away from your hall, and god forbid you leave campus past 9 pm. When you get back you will spend at least 10 minutes just looking for a spot. This was honestly such a big deal for me when moving off campus.

4. No more community bathrooms

toilet creeping GIFGiphy

Probably the absolute worst thing about living on campus is the possibility of a communal bathroom. I definitely don't miss the days of sharing 4 showers with 25 people.

5. Depending on where you live, it's so much cheaper

paid pay day GIFGiphy

On-campus housing alone is ridiculously expensive. Thats not even mentioning the money you spend on a meal plan, restaurants on campus, and at the PODs.

6. Privacy

disturb daffy duck GIF by Looney TunesGiphy

Living in a residence hall, anytime you have a guest you have to check them in. It's not a big deal, but it's definitely a hassle, and you usually have to have them out by a certain time. Not having to think about that with an apartment makes everything so much easier.