6 Reasons Why Europe Does Christmas Better

From early celebration to amazing food, they just do it so well!

37
Bailey Shafer

Christmas, it's such a great time of year filled with delicious treats and a happy feeling in the air. Sure, Christmas is a fun experience in the United States, but Europe takes it to the next level! Here's why:

1. Christmas starts way earlier

When you don't have Thanksgiving to be a barrier between Halloween and Christmas there is nothing to stop you from pulling out the tree on November first. Most people in Europe don't do that but the holiday season definitely starts much earlier than it does in the United States.

2. Christmas Markets...

Christmas markets dominate many of the cities of Europe leading up to Christmas. Here you can frequently hear live music from bands or carolers. The smell of mulled wine fills the air and delicious treats are all around you. In smaller cities the goods tend to be more handcrafted and unique. The number of amazing gifts I have found at these is ridiculous. One even had a live nativity scene with live donkeys, sheep, and goats. The Christmas spirit just fills your soul as you wander the many aisles of Europe's Christmas markets.

3. ...And the foods that are at the Christmas Markets

I have been so enlightened when it comes to food and drinks at the Christmas markets. They really know how to make a holiday already full of delicious foods even more delicious. Popular drinks include Gluhwein( Mulled Wine) or Punsch. They often come in cute little mugs, which I highly recommend keeping as a souvenir. Its not stealing because you pay for it up front and can get a refund if you bring the mug back.

Other delicious foods I have had are Crepes, Pomme Frites, Kaiserschmarrn, Macarons, Cheese Bratwurst, Chocolate dipped soft pretzels, and so many more. Honestly the festive dishes in Europe kick butt!

4. Santa comes early

Santa comes on December 24th, right? Wrong! In some parts of Europe, especially in Austria where I am, St. Nick actually comes on the 6th. Not only do the Europeans get to start the Christmas season sooner, but they also get their stocking filled early. In Austria, you leave a shoe outside your door and it is filled with treats. Maybe our dirty gym shoes wasn't what anyone had in mind, but hey its the thought that counts.

5. With Krampus too!

Nothing says Christmas like getting chased and beaten by people covered in goat skins. Beginning in the Alpine regions of Europe, but now spreading around the world, is the Krampuslauf. This translates to Krampus run. Krampus is a pagan based character who comes with Saint Nick on December 5th. If you have misbehaved, you better watch out.

When I went to the Krampuslauf, I thought it was really fun. my friends however did have more scary stories to tell. One group was cornered against a wall and whipped. Another girl got taken to the ground by a Krampus. That being said, the europeans definately take this naughty or nice thing more seriously than those in the US.

6. Advent is taken pretty seriously

I don't think I have seen advent in such prevalence as I have while in Europe. Ever store is selling advent wreaths and of course advent calendars. Every church we go to is decorated specially for advent. Many of the traditions we associate with this time of year come from Europe, so its only fitting that the traditions are done better here.