6 Reasons Chris Jericho Vs Kenny Omega Is Best For Business

This match holds more precedence than us pro wrestling fans think.

229
Wikimedia

Set the date: January 4, 2018 is going to be INSANE.

The recent New Japan event "Power Struggle" saw IWGP United States Champion and Bullet Club leader Kenny Omega successfully defend his title against Trent Barretta before the lights dimmed and anticipation rose. Suddenly, WWE legend Chris Jericho emerged via film with a photo of Omega. The crowd went bananas when they saw the G.O.A.T. reemerge in New Japan in over twenty years. Below is a video of his challenge to Omega at this January's upcoming Wrestle Kingdom 12 event.

(Youtube: Baretto Karabu)

Fans and peers alike were blindsided by these events, but given that Omega and Jericho had recently exchanged words over Twitter, it was obvious that something this shocking was on the horizon.

However, they didn't know it would be this shocking. These are 6 reasons why Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho, Alpha vs Omega, GOAT vs Cleaner, is best for business. What a time to be alive.

1. Dream (matches) can come true

One of the most favorite things us pro wrestling fans do is creating dream matches and urging for them. In the last year, Jericho revamped his career by introducing 'The List' and becoming a stable name in the main event scene, and his program as being friends with Kevin Owens and then enemies exceeded expectations. At the same time, Omega has put on classic matches with Kazuchika Okada that are considered the best trilogy of all time in one year alone. At the same time, Omega and Jericho are so experienced in the ring that they can put on a great match that fans will remember...hence, a dream match coming to fruition.

Credit: Wikimedia

Fans alike all want a match like this to happen, and the fact that it's happening in 2017 alone makes this year a very important career spotlight on both wrestlers. Dream matches that have come true, such as Hulk Hogan vs The Rock, John Cena vs AJ Styles, and even Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan, have become historic matches in pro wrestling, so a match like Omega vs Jericho is a definite dream match that many fans wanted are now going to get. Guaranteed.

2. De facto cross promotion

In wrestling, a cross-promotion is when two promotions work together on either a long term or short term basis that helps both companies grow. In doing so, this gives a chance for wrestlers of different promotions to also work together and give fans a dynamic form of entertainment. It has happened many times before, with regional territories back in the day all the way to ECW's Invasion of Raw in 1993 and even the more long-term ROH/NJPW cross-promotion that has happened in the last ten years or so.

In this case, a de facto WWE/NJPW cross-promotion is happening. Jericho, who has basically been with WWE since 1999 and has immersed himself with that style, is now back in Japan working with some of the best in 'Strong Style' wrestling and is representing WWE to the highest degree. Why? Jericho is stepping out of the WWE's comfort zone (and their ill-acknowledgment of their competition) and ripping all of this red tape to give fans a chance to see him in another promotion while still holding this aura of being WWE's workhorse legend.

Either way, an unofficial cross promotion is on the horizon, as well as this next point...

3. The 'war' between WWE and NJPW is alive and well

In the late 1990s, WWE and WCW were engaged in a Monday Night War that were waged based on ratings and popularity. It was the most pivotal time in sports entertainment, and its legacy is still impactful today. Jericho and Omega will be representing not only each other's company in terms of pride, but as well as being the first official battle between the two biggest promotions. Although not acknowledged, it is apparent that fans will be getting more than a battle of egos, but a battle of whether or not WWE or NJPW succeeded in their management of promoting two big names in the industry...as well as which promotion is better.

Both Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho have faced a multitude of wrestlers that both of them know personally. AJ Styles, Finn Balor, Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, and a bunch more have faced these two great wrestlers, so the match that these two can put together will make this somewhat the 'First Battle of Bull Run' of this wrestling civil war. Let's hope this war continues to be a great series of matches and moments.

(The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega, 'The Elite', are considered the best wrestlers in the world right now and the trio that keeps the Bullet Club...well, ELITE)

4. Infinite possibilities for the future

In pro wrestling, the future is always up in the air (literally). The evolution of sports entertainment makes this environment a platform for endless possibilities. Jericho and Omega could just be the beginning of Jericho's new career in New Japan. He could face current IWGP Champion Kazuchika Okada sometime down the line, or even a chance to see the unique personality of Tetsuya Naito to go one on one with the enigmatic Lionheart of Jericho. At the same time, we could see Jericho pop up in Ring of Honor for a few months, facing great wrestlers like Jay Lethal, Kenny King, Silas Young, Cody, or even Dalton Castle.

In Omega's case, a victory over Jericho would be the pinnacle of his career. Defeating a legendary name like Jericho would definitely put Omega in the front seat of extending his career in Japan. As IWGP US Champion, Omega would have a fantastic future with a victorious defense over Jericho at the biggest stage for New Japan in January. He could also have a chance to have more stock if he ever decides to sign with WWE, immediately being thrown into matches against WWE mainstays Roman Reigns, John Cena, even New Day member and gamer rival Xavier Woods (Austin Creed).

Either way, both men have a lot to prove for the future if they want to make this match very much talked about even after their showdown at Wrestle Kingdom 12.

(Jericho, 47, will be in his first non-WWE match in over 20 years. His return to NJPW will indeed be a moment of sheer delight for those going to the Tokyo Dome.)

5. Jericho's homecoming to Japan will be great

Even though Jericho seems to be acting more negative towards his new rival Kenny Omega, it is a perfect chance for Jericho to introduce himself to those who were too young to see him in NJPW back in the 1990s and also create a sense of nostalgia for those who don't watch WWE as much as NJPW.

Jericho's return to NJPW will not only be a tremendous affair, but also a chance to see if Jericho cannot miss a step when it comes to a non-WWE audience. His experience in Japan before WWE will come into play, so hopefully, he manages to stay in tune with his Japanese fans and maintain that respect.

6. Finally, anything can happen in the world of professional wrestling

By 2014, no one thought the legend Sting would ever appear in WWE. He then debuted at that year's Survivor Series event. Rumors that AJ Styles was debuting in 2016 came true when he arrived at the Royal Rumble, and the doubt in everyone's minds that Hulk Hogan would ever return to the WWE was stopped when he came back in 2002 and he rocked the Toronto crowd at that year's Wrestlemania with The Rock. Anything, and I mean anything, is possible when it comes to professional wrestling. Dream matches can come true, wrestlers we all wanted to face each other as soon as possible is possible, and the hype and promotion of this entire match, as recent as it is, has taken the pro wrestling world by shock...in a good way.

My pick for this match: Kenny Omega. Simple, this is a 'make or break' match for the leader of the Bullet Club. A win over Jericho would help his career even more. Good luck to both competitors, and I hope I speak for all pro wrestling fans when I say I will be up real late in the night to watch Wrestle Kingdom 12.