6 Reasons Why You Should be a Camp Counselor

Do you even need that many reasons?

8

Ah, summertime! When the livin’ is easy: fish are jumpin’ and the cotton is high. Watermelon is flying off the shelves and kids are flying out of school and into camps (and those who think they’re “too old” for summer camp? Well, they’re wrong). If you’re a fresh high school graduate or a college student bummed about the fact that your days of summer camp are gone, don’t be, because the fun doesn’t stop when you turn 18. Apply to be a camp counselor! *Cue angels singing* Sure, this sounds like an infomercial, but think about it: summer camp rocked! Now, you have the opportunity to help kids have an amazing time, just like you had when you were growing up. Here are some of the best parts about being a summer camp counselor:

1. You Get to be Goofy!

You don’t have to sit in a cubicle and wear clothing you can barely move in. Instead, you’re encouraged to move around and be silly and pretend like you’re still the crazy kid you know you are.

2. You Get a Break from #Adulting!

Basically a continuation of #1, but seriously, why would you waste your prime counselor age wasting away in an office when you can swim, go on field trips, and “ensure kids’ safety” in a bouncy house?!

3. Snacks!

You feed the kids snacks and you get the extra food. (Trust me, there’s a lot of extra food). Also, you get constant reminders to be healthy. Every so often you need to remind the kids to put sunscreen on, go to the bathroom, and drink water (stuff that you probably forgot to do during the day) and it’s a great way to stay on top of your health as well as your campers’.

4. Benefits!

As a camp counselor, depending on which camp you work at, there are benefits. I, as an example, get free use of the facilities all summer (i.e. a gym membership and free access to the pool) Score!

5. Like-Minded Goofers!

Yes, your first priority is to take care of the kids., BUT, there’s plenty of time during training week and throughout the day to get to know your coworkers. These people are some of the best you’ll ever meet, and seeing how they interact with kids vs. how they are off the job is interesting in itself.

6. Fun! Duh?!

That’s why you went to camp when you were little! It’s finally your turn to pass on the great experiences, fun games and laughs that you enjoyed so much. So get out there! Have some good old-fashioned summer camp fun!