6 LGBTQIA+ People Of Color On YouTube That You Should Know

They're here... they're queer... and they're POC!

2030
Freestocks.org

Since its launch in 2005, YouTube has become one of the largest platforms for original content online. With over 300 hours of video being uploaded every second, it's safe to say that there's something for all of the site's estimated 1.3 billion members. However, not all content is being shared across the platform equally.

In 2010, YouTube added a feature known as Restricted Mode, which gave viewers the option to automatically filter videos from their feed that were deemed inappropriate. This was mostly intended to keep young children from stumbling across content that may be sexual, violent, or otherwise not kid-friendly. However, earlier this year, YouTube went under fire for adding a new filter to the Restricted Mode setting.

What was later passed off by YouTube's staff as "a glitch" was the addition of LGBTQIA+ content and content creators being blocked while Restricted Mode was selected. This meant that with Restricted Mode turned on, any video or channel that even mentioned any aspect of the LGBTQIA+ community was being removed from the YouTube search engine and timeline feed. At first, the website's officials tried to state that only LGBTQIA+ content that was vulgar or sexual in nature was being filtered, but this was quickly proven false. Perfectly family-friendly videos, such as Tyler Oakley's "8 Black LGBTQ+ Trailblazers Who Inspire Me" and popstar Ariana Grande's video speaking out against anti-LGBT bullying were also blocked.

If that's not bad enough, Restricted Mode also seemed to target racial minorities, specifically African Americans. Black content creators, especially those with a certain aesthetic or those known for posting more "controversial" content, were also being kicked by this supposed error in the algorithm. Keeping both of these issues in mind, it was clearly becoming that much more difficult for LGBTQIA+ people of color to get views. And truth be told, this problem is anything but new.

In 2015, YouTuber Akilah Hughes set out to prove the lack of POC promotion from Youtube by keeping tabs on their social media during Black History Month. Only fifteen tweets promoting African American creators were sent out by YouTube's twitter account that entire month - and ten of those were actually mentioning black musicians such as Bob Marley or Beyonce' who (let's face it) don't exactly need YouTube's promo to get attention. This is compared to over 150 tweets during this time promoting white creators, most of which with much smaller fanbases.

Although the issue with Restricted Mode has supposedly been fixed, there is still a huge lack of promotion for POC and/or LGBTQIA+ content creators from this platform. Put two and two together. When you think of the "popular," "mainstream" LGBTQIA+ YouTubers - as in the ones who are given billboards, book deals, and YouTube Red specials - who do you think of? Tyler Oakley? Troye Sivan? Connor Franta? Joey Graceffa? ...Are you seeing my point yet?

Don't fret, because there are plenty of amazing POC in the LGBTQIA+ community on YouTube. I wanted to shed light on some of these content creators that I feel make outstanding content and deserve more recognition than they are currently getting. In no particular order, here are six of my favorite YouTubers who are both POC and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. Be sure to check out their channels and hit that subscribe button!

1.) Jade

Jade (aka F0XY or F0XYHotMess) is a self-described "unfriendly black hottie" from Los Angeles. She was also a keynote speaker at this year's VidCon, and has her own podcast called Do Not Disturb through LGBT platform Revry Studios. Her channel puts a unique twist on your average, everyday experiences and struggles by portraying them in a comedic light. She also does loads of collaborations with other content creators, such as Ambers Closet, Miles Jai, and Ari Fitz.

In her video "A Family Friendly Reminder to Youtube" (link below), Jade discussed the recent issue of YouTube's "Restricted Mode" blocking LGBTQIA+ content. The conversation also continued in the episode of her podcast titled "Studs, Sims, and Snacks", where she discussed with fellow YouTuber Hart the increased difficulty for queer people of color (specifically masculine lesbians of color) to get proper and equal recognition in the entertainment industry.

Click here to view one of my favorite videos of Jade's - "A Family Friendly Reminder to Youtube".

Click here to listen to episode 12 of the Do Not Disturb podcast - "Studs, Sims, and Snacks".

2.) Rilen Taylor

Rilen Taylor, also known as TheRilenFiles, is a genderfluid individual from Brooklyn, New York. His channel mostly consists of sit-down style videos, documenting his transition over the past two years. Something very unique to Rilen's content is his extremely open, unfiltered dialogue about his journey - from sharing his first ever testosterone shot to the story of how he got evicted for being transgender. You can also see him discuss his struggles with mental illness and follow his career in the entertainment industry as an aspiring actor.

Click here to view one of my favorite videos of Rilen's - "I'm Not Going Back to Being a Girl".

3.) Kat Lazo

Kat Lazo of the channel Thee Kats Meoww is more than just the awesome pun. Outside of YouTube, Kat continues to spread her channel's message of inclusion through public speaking, writing, and visual storytelling. She also works behind-the-scenes as a director and producer for We Are Mitu, an online platform by Latinx, for Latinx which shares stories of their culture, often times through comedic sketches and videos.

Similarly to the content on We Are Mitu, the content on Kat's personal channel does dive frequently into her life as a Latina woman. She has also touched on topics such as LGBTQIA+ issues, beauty standards, feminism, and sexual harassment.

Click here to view one of my favorite videos of Kat's - "Dear Latinx, Let's Check Our Privilege."

Bonus video! Click here to view one of my favorite videos from We Are Mitu - "What's With the X in Latinx?"

4.) Hartbeat

Nobody does comedy quite like Hart from the Youtube channel Hartbeat. In 2013, she took the Internet by storm when she recorded herself dancing in a watermelon bikini in response to those who question her masculine aesthetic. But, that's not all she has to offer! On her channel, you will also find a plethora of other hilarious sketches and videos, as well as original music, collaborations, and some more serious videos - such as the one below, where she shares her struggle with schizophrenia.

Hart also recently started a second channel, which she uses to house her web-series SimLivNColor. This web-series was created entirely by Hart, and uses the popular Sims 4 game to portray an entirely black story of drama, romance, and lots...and lots...of sex.

Click here to view one of my favorite videos of Hart's - "Hi, I'm Schizophrenic".

Oh look, another bonus video! Click here to view the channel trailer to Hart's web-series SimLivNColor. (Content Warning: The rest of the series contains sexual and otherwise mature content.)

5.) Team 2 Moms

The YouTube Channel "Team 2 Moms" (formerly known as "Olivia Has 2 Moms") showcases a lovely family from Central Valley, NY. The channel is run by wives Ebony and Denise, who have been married for seven years. Their family also includes three beautiful children: Olivia, Jaden, and Lucas. For the past year, their channel has had a special focus around Denise's pregnancy with twins, as well as her former issues with getting pregnant.

On their channel, you will also find adorable videos from 5-year-old Olivia, day-in-the-life style vlogs, and general updates on their lives, as well as issues they are facing in the present world. Their recent mini-series "Parenting with Pride" also gave them the opportunity to include some other awesome LGBTQIA+ families on their channel to share thair stories.

Click here to view one of my favorite videos from Team 2 Moms - "People Think My Twins Aren't Mine".

6.) Kat Blaque

Kat Blaque is a 26 year old YouTuber from Laguna Beach, California. For nearly seven years now, Kat has been blessing us with a plethora of content on social justice issues, particularly those concerning racial minorities and the LGBTQIA+ community. You will also find some vlogs, collaborations with other Youtubers, and other opinionated content on important issues such as police brutality, rape culture, politics, and injustice in the entertainment industry.

Her ongoing "True Tea" series allows her to take questions from her viewers, and offer them advice in a way that is both well-educated and incredibly unique. Aside from Youtube, Miss Blaque often offers her voice and advocacy at various college campuses and events across the U.S.. Fun fact: She is also an illustrator!

Click Here to view one of my favorite videos of Kat's - "Rape Culture + The Stanford Rapist". (Content Warning: This video is about Brock Turner and discusses acts of sexual assault and sexual violence.)