6 Immature Traits You Had In High School Your College Self Can't Have

Because the high school version of you is in need of an upgrade.

1174
Alexis Mills

We all know that adulting, specifically as a young adult, is pretty hard, and transitioning from four years of high school into college is especially difficult. Life is no longer the cake walk you knew it to be, and your personality must adapt with all of life's changes being thrown at you around every bend. You spend a lot of time lost and trying to find who you are while in the midst of preparing for your life ahead of you, and it becomes a battle when your own feelings get in the way of that.

You're an adult now, and it's time to "glo up" and start acting like one.

As I myself move on from high school, I've noticed some unsavory aspects of my personality that no longer have a place in my new environment and the future I'm trying to build, and I am doing my best to erase them. After all, in order for something to grow and eventually prosper, you've got to pluck out the weeds.

1. Jealousy

Often in high school, I would see classmates with bigger, better things than I, or a better grade than I, or more friends than I, and a little green monster would poke its head out and make me feel like, for lack of a better word, trash. Realizing this part of myself was a long time coming, and it has taken even longer to understand that being content with the things I have feels even better than wishing for someone else's, and if I'm not happy with something, I have to be the one to improve it.

2. FOMO

FOMO, which stands for Fear Of Missing Out, was my worst enemy in high school. I always craved to be out where everyone else was and doing what everyone else was doing, and tended to be severely upset if I wasn't there for fear of missing out on something crazy or exciting and, in turn, feeling left out. I've come to learn that the fact of the matter is this: you can't be always everywhere and do everything, and that's perfectly OK. There's much better, more beneficial things to concern yourself about than worrying about not being in the know.

3. Pettiness

If you've ever been anywhere near Twitter, you know ALL about being petty. It's even become a trend to tweet out petty acts against exes or rude people, and people seem to love and encourage it. I'm not going to pretend that I haven't laughed or given a retweet to one of these instances but, for my personal life, being petty is honestly just a waste of time and energy. Issues are a million times easier solved directly, and that's a skill I'd much prefer to hone rather than being passive aggressive and frustrated.

4. Indecisiveness

I, like most people my age, am absolutely awful at making decisions. It's not necessarily that my decisions are poor but more of that it takes me an excruciating long time to reach them. Nine times out of ten my answer to "Where do you want to go to eat?" is either "I don't know" or "I don't care." But, the key part of adulthood is independence, and independence means making your own choices. Where high school me would waver, college me has to be confident.

5. Regret

We hear this phrase time and time again: "Life is short." And it's true — we only have so much time here on this Earth, and it's our job to make the most of that. Sure, we are human, and we are bound to make bad choices that make us hide under our covers for the rest of our lives, but life's brevity won't wait for you to come back out. Any sort of misstep used to make me feel like the world was crashing down on me and I'd never make it out from underneath it, but, in the end, my biggest regret was letting myself feel regretful. You have to move on from that failed test or bad relationship, or whatever else is dragging you down, and push forward with your life.

6. Selfishness

In the wise words of "High School Musical," we're all in this together. Adulthood is not a solo journey and we shouldn't treat it as such, which sometimes happens in our younger years when the world as we know it is limited (I know I definitely had my moments). Appreciate your loved ones more, because they won't be in an arm's reach forever. Enjoying life is easier when you have people by your side to help you, and the only way to do that is by putting time and energy into those who deserve it, along with yourself.