LISTICLES: 6 Foolproof Tips For Creating Video Listicles

Your viewers won't know what hit them!

1842
123RF Stock Photo

By now, you're probably familiar with the listicle format. It's a quick and easy way to communicate a lot of information and connect with an audience! We've all seen some awesome listicles come through Odyssey and make a huge impact, and now we're so excited to translate the listicle format to video. A lot stays the same, but a lot changes, too!

So, how do you make a great video listicle?

1. Know your audience

Keeping your audience in mind from the very beginning is huge. It allows you to optimize everything from the topic, to the listicle points, to the title of your video to speak directly to the community you're reaching out to. That makes your listicle all the more impactful!

2. Put your best film forward

If you decide to appear on screen, or create a listicle from clips you've filmed, be sure to keep an eye on the video basics: have a steady camera shot and even lighting, and make sure your visuals are clear and concise.

3. B-Roll is your friend!

Just because you're making a video doesn't mean you have to be on video. In fact, you don't necessarily have to film anything at all! Listicle videos come in all shapes and sizes. You can film yourself speaking, use B-Roll you've recorded, use clips you found online, or any combination of the three. The world is your oyster, so to speak.

*Make sure to attribute your sources if you pull any footage you didn't film.

4. Subtitles, subtitles, subtitles

This one just makes sense. With a listicle, it's important to have a visual representation of the list item on screen to give viewers context.

You may also be communicating by talking to the camera vlog-style or in a voiceover, but viewers often watch listicle vids without the sound on, so adding subtitles (in the same way you add header items to listicle articles) takes your vid to the next level!

5. Speak clearly

If you choose to include yourself explaining the listicle items, whether that means you're on camera or doing a voiceover, be sure to speak clearly and be concise!

6. Background music is a nice touch

While many viewers may watch without sound, just as many will be listening to your vid with rapt attention! Maximize this experience with some great background music. This is especially important for videos with subtitles only and no voiceover.

Click here to return to the Video Guide!