6 Essentials For Tackling Infinite Homework

Advice for college students trying to survive a hard semester.

37
http://www.americancollegespain.com/

My friends, school is either starting soon or has started already. Some of you are locked in for a semester of smooth sailing — something like 12 credits of general education. That’s cool, you’re set for a great time. There is nothing wrong with chilling for a semester. I’m happy for you. But there is also a group of you, a masochistic handful, who are testing yourselves, dabbling in 18 or more credits. You, in your courage and foolishness, have decided to experience the very limits of what a human being can achieve in 16 weeks. I feel for you guys. I’ve lived that life. Last semester I took the equivalent of 22.5 credits, most of it upper division or honors. With your futures now looming gloomily ahead, I feel compelled to share some tips on how to either survive or at least die gracefully:

1. Eight hours of sleep everyday, no matter what the cost.

There seems to be a misconception out there that four to six hours is appropriate for your typical hard-working college student. Don’t be dumb. Sure, you will have more total hours studying, but if you can’t keep your eyes open, those hours are nearly useless. Even if it means not completing the homework for a given day, go to bed early, and you will find that you are more productive in the long run.

2. If you feel sleepy while studying, nap immediately.

In the same way as the last point, this point is just about the crucial ability to recognize when you are exhausted. It might not make sense to nap the most when the workload is the hardest, but sometimes a 90-minute nap can be the difference between a wasted afternoon and a finished term paper.

3. One thing at a time.

It can be easy to get overwhelmed by a large number of classes. The sheer abundance of work makes it impossible to feel accomplished. I want you to cut to the heart of the problem. Ignore the vast bulk of your commitments and just think about one. It is not even necessary to choose the highest priority item. Break down the homework into bite-sized chunks, and life will go well for you.

4. Save the caffeine for when you really need it.

Most students drink coffee. Some drink it because it is delicious, others purely for the caffeine. And rightfully so. Coffee (or some other source of caffeine) can be an easy way to dig through mountains of studying. However, overdoing it just cuts into your sleeping hours and makes intaking coffee in the future less effective. There are going to be a few nights when you REALLY need coffee, so wait for those times.

5. Know the study environment that is best for you.

Everyone has places that increase productivity better than others. Find yours and use it. Also, keep an eye on how many people you can handle being in your vicinity. Some like a crowd, but some like isolation. Once your environment ceases to suit your needs, pack your bags and move on as soon as possible.

6. Have friends to keep you accountable for studying.

This final point is probably the most important. All of these other steps can easily fail on their own, as they are quite vulnerable to the eternal enemy of the student: laziness. Make sure your friends know you are committed to the studying lifestyle. Make them make you study. Either guilt or encouragement will do, but there must be a force there to keep us in check when our will becomes weak. Get humble and realize that you, along with everybody else, is going to need help in the coming weeks.