6 Customers You Meet In the Restaurant Industry

It Can Get Interesting

48

When you work at a restaurant with a variety of food and drinks that transforms from family-friendly restaurant by day to a fun nightlife bar, you attract a wide range of interesting characters, most of which are super nice and pleasantly enjoy a meal. However, there are a few other types of people that stick out in my mind. Disclaimer: This article is meant to be humorous and any stereotypes you may find that describe you at a restaurant are not meant to be unkind. Here are a few examples:

1. Pretentious Snob

This customer will most often start the meal by interrupting your introduction to the table. ‘Hi, my name’s Emma. I’ll be your se—‘ and he or she will ask for a drink that the restaurant either can’t make or will ask for a sampling of every white wine on the menu. Oh, and when their food comes out not quite right, they will make sure to tell you it’s your fault. As if you even cooked it!

2. The Cell Phone Addict

This person is most often—hate to say it—a millennial. Either scrolling through Instagram the entire meal rather than speaking to the other people at their table or they’re on the phone when you’re trying to take their order. This customer will always ask for the restaurant’s Wi-Fi password, that way they don’t have to engage with the world around them. How about instead of scrolling through your friends’ Snapchat stories, you make your own?

3. The Wannabe Chef

This type of customer is the one who tries to change the menu. They see Fish Tacos on the menu and assume they can change tilapia to salmon. They see Chicken Fajitas and order Steak Fajitas. They expect their rewrite of the menu is no problem and are confused when you explain to them that they can’t have their way.

4. The Entitled Regular

Don’t worry! Because this person knows the General Manager they are allowed to have a super complicated and particular order that would never go by otherwise. Don’t get me wrong, you have the super nice regulars that the staff fights over because everyone wants to wait on them, but there are always the ones who expect a discount just because they come every Tuesday afternoon for lunch.

5. Dad Joke Guy

This person is most often a dad, but not always. When you start off and say ‘I’ll be your server tonight,’ he will follow with ‘and I’ll be your customer.’ Your time serving them will be filled with awkward jokes that aren’t funny. The question is, should you laugh at them to get a higher tip?

6. Unbelievably Nice People

On certain shifts these customers can seem endangered, however when you come across a table that smiles back at you, seems happy to be eating there, and is genuinely enjoying the company they brought, it’s really nice to see. When they ask for something they need, it will be accompanied by ‘I see you’re busy, so whenever you get a chance.’ The nice table is the one you almost don’t want to leave just so you can have a table to joke around with and to watch enjoy their stay. It’s these customers that make serving and all the hard work worthwhile.

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of other types of people you’ll meet in the restaurant industry. These are just a few generalized examples. And while some are a little unbearable, we learn to just kill them with kindness. And if that doesn’t work, you always have the unbelievably nice people to look forward to.