6 Benefits Of Being A Weekday Vegetarian

Dedication is a commendable quality, but it doesn't have to come with rigidity.

1690
http://isha.sadhguru.org/

Have you ever been interested in vegetarianism, but frightened at the thought of never indulging into a big, juicy hamburger ever again? Then becoming a weekday vegetarian may be for you. The process can lead to losing weight and keeping it off, reducing your risk of heart disease, and possibly living longer. Why not give being a weekday veg a try?

1. Have compassion for animals.

Farm animals have no less intelligence or capability when it comes to feeling pain than our beloved companions such as our dogs or cats. Instead of exploiting animals, vegetarians exercise a moral choice to protect all animals living on this earth. Even though weekday vegetarians can make room for meat in their diet on the weekends, giving up meat throughout the week is cutting 70 percent of meat intake.

2. Prevent cancer.

Large studies in England and Germany have shown that vegetarians are about 40 percent less likely to develop cancer compared to meat-eaters. In addition, the high fat content of meat and other animal products increases hormone production, thus increasing the risk of hormone-related cancers such as breast and prostate cancer. Vegetarian diets rich in high-fiber plant foods such as whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits offer a measure of protection.

3. Live longer.

Plant-based diets are generally rich in fiber, phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, which in turn strengthen the immune system and slow down the aging process. A study that was published in the British Medical Journal found that vegetarians outlive meat eaters by six years.

4. Avoid toxic food contaminates.

Toxins are concentrated in the fatty flesh of animals. Flesh foods are loaded with dangerous contaminates such as hormones, herbicides, pesticides and antibiotics.

5. Help end world hunger.

The amount of grain produced in today's world is enough to feed the world twice over, but statistics say 70 percent of the grain is fed to livestock. Crops that could very well be used to feed the hungry are instead being used to fatten animals raised for food.

6. It's perfectly acceptable to stray.

By giving up meat throughout the week, you are doing yourself a big favor to increase your chances of living longer, lowering your risk of diseases and even reducing global warming. I'm in favor of becoming a weekday vegetarian because one still has the opportunity to indulge on the weekends, even though they are cutting meat completely out through the week. Dedication is a commendable quality, but it doesn't have to come with rigidity.