6 Ambient Artists For Any Occasion

6 Ambient Artists For Any Occasion

Unless you're at a rager.
44

Here's a compilation of the perfect experimental, ambient groups and artists. Ambient music is one of those genres that can be listened to almost anytime unless you need to pep up. It's unique in the way that you can fall asleep to it or you can even have a little dance party to it! If you're studying, unwinding, or you just need something new, give these musicians a try.

1. Aphex Twin

Aphex Twin is a musician from England who got his success from his influence on the ambient and electronic genres of music. He blew up in the 90's and he still has a huge impact on music as a whole. His songs are generally instrumental, or without lyrics, so it's great for anything from studying to just jammin'. Maybe even use them to fall asleep to.

2. Death Grips' Fashion Week

Death Grips are not by any means an ambient band, let me just state that up front. However, in 2015 the group released an album called Fashion Week. It's comprised of nine tracks that are purely instrumental and electronic. Some may stray from "ambiance", but like Aphex Twin, the lack of words make them perfect for background music.

3. Deerhunter

Deerhunter gained popularity in the early 2000's and are still truckin'! They have described their sound as "ambient punk". Unline Aphex Twin and Death Grips' Fashion Week, they incorporate lyrics into their music. Still great for background music, you just have the ability to sing along now!

4. Brian Eno

This guy's undebatably the most influential artist on this list. Brian Eno has been creating since the 70's, and to this day his effect is monumental regarding ambient and electronic music. He's pioneered the genres and even created his own. Eno has produced many "sound-scapes" which definitely serve their purpose as soothing, ambient melodies.

5. Godspeed You! Black Emperor

This group is super unique. Their sound varies from noise to beautiful, orchestral compositions of sound. Their songs are generally very long and intense. Perfect for background music, but upon closer listening it's evident how intricate and alluring the music is. Again, apart from samples, they don't use vocals.

6. Beach House

Beach House is a more current group than most of the bands on this list. They have a female vocalist, excellent lyrics, and they're better for singing along and some slow dancing if you're feeling it. They just released a new album, 7, and unsurprisingly it's amazing. Beach House is categorized as dream pop rather than ambient music, but Victoria Legend, the vocalist, could put you in a trance without a doubt!

Whether you find these artists useful for a study session or your own personal dance party, I hope you have found a lasting favorite.