To The 5th-Year Senior, That Extra Year Just Means Extra Opportunities

Why it's a good thing to take an extra year of college.

147
Madison Cole

Sometimes life does not go as planned. You can do everything in your power to try to control it but things can still go in a different direction. Many people come to college as freshman expecting to graduate after the "best four years" of their life but for many more students it ends up being impossible.

Maybe you changed your major multiple times, or your stress load could only handle 12 credits instead of 15-18. It could be that you work a lot and pay your way through school. Whatever the reason may be, there is nothing wrong with taking a little longer than planned.

Below are some of the many reasons that being a 5th-year student can be a good thing.

1. More time with Friends

College friends are soulmates, bros, future bridesmaids, or if anything acquaintances that you will never forget. Who wouldn't want more time to create memories with your favorite people, even if they are younger then you.

2. Time to study abroad

Maybe, a specific study abroad program was on your list but you never quite had the "time" to fit it in, well now that you are going beyond your original plan you can really do anything.

3. Could be a TA

By now you will probably be an expert in your major, and your professors should know you well. Why not make some money on the side while gaining experience and creating a networking connection.

4. Another year of fun

College is not all work no play, use this year to really glorify that! Go to your favorite restaurants, bars, and shopping locations. Make the most of every moment that you can.

5. Leadership opportunities

If you are involved in extracurriculars nows your chance to finally go after that position you always wanted and take the reigns of a club or organization. You will not regret it.

6. Could do an internship

That extra year could open up a window of time to do an internship along with your studies. Professors and local businesses are always looking for some extra hands.

7. More time to job search

Getting a job is much easier said than done, so getting that extra year to really search and connect with a recruiter is crucial.

8. Everything you missed out on

I think its impossible to go to college without compromising or prioritizing and some point in time. If you missed out on something you really wanted to be a part of, now is the time to finally fulfill it.

9. One last Spring Break

Hate to break it to you, but unless you're in the field of education spring break will not exist in a grown-up job. So, make the most of one final week of vacationing/ relaxing!

10. Do everything you missed out on!

Today, college seems to be treated like everything needs to follow an exact pattern, but the truth is that college should be catered to the individual. It is not a one size fits all scenario. If you take longer then you originally planned, congrats on staying busy living life and not rushing your college experience.