56 Vital Quotes From Banned Books

56 Vital Quotes From Banned Books

Because sometimes the messiest art is the truest.

1272
56 Vital Quotes From Banned Books

Saturday, October, 3 wrapped up 2015's Banned Books Week. So much literature is banned in America and other parts of the world because people do not understand the necessity of art to exemplify life in the most honest way. Life is messy. Life is not always PG-13. Life cannot be censored. And if literature is supposed to reflect life, then it should not be, either.

Because banned books should be supported year-around and not just for the week, check out this list below of 56 exceptionally relatable quotes from banned literature.

—William Faulkner, "The Sound and the Fury"

"He wanted to cry quietly but not for himself: for the words, so beautiful and sad, like music." —James Joyce, "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness." —Allen Ginsberg, "Howl"

"She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Delores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita." —Vladimir Nabokov, "Lolita"

"Angry, and half in love with her, and tremendously sorry, I turned away." —F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Great Gatsby"

"Maybe there is a beast… maybe it's only us." —William Goulding, "Lord of the Flies"

—Steven Chbosky, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"

"Maybe ever'body in the whole damn world is scared of each other." —John Steinbeck, "Of Mice and Men"

"For whatever you live is life." —Robert Penn Warren, "All The King’s Men"

"I felt that I was not, never had been and never would be a living part of this overpoweringly solid and deeply meaningful world around me." —John Knowles, "A Separate Peace"

"Anything worth living for is certainly worth dying for." —Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"

"Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home." —James Joyce, "Ulysses"

—John Irving, "A Prayer for Owen Meany"

"I loved you when I saw you today and I loved you always but I never saw you before." —Ernest Hemingway, "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

"I have never heard a more eloquent silence." —Laurie Halse Anderson, "Speak"

"He struggled with himself, too. I saw it—I heard it. I saw the inconceivable mystery of a soul that knew no restraint, no faith, and no fear, yet struggling blindly with itself." —Joseph Conrad, "Heart of Darkness"

"And Lot's wife, of course, was told not to look back where all those people and their homes had been. But she did look back, and I love her for that, because it was so human. So she was turned into a pillar of salt. So it goes." —Kurt Vonnegut, "Slaughterhouse-Five"

"A pain stabbed my heart, as it did every time I saw a girl I loved who was going the opposite direction in this too-big world." —Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

—S.E. Hinton, "The Outsiders"

"'Fish,' he said softly, aloud, 'I'll stay with you until I am dead.'" —Ernest Hemingway, "The Old Man and the Sea"

"I am large, I contain multitudes." —Walt Whitman, "Leaves of Grass"

"What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains." —Tennessee Williams, "A Streetcar Named Desire"

"And Max, the king of all wild things, was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all." —Maurice Sendak, "Where the Wild Things Are"

"Perhaps to lose a sense of where you are implies the danger of losing a sense of who you are." —Ralph Ellison, "Invisible Man"

—Khaled Hosseini, "The Kite Runner"

"Several of them would have protested if they could have found the right arguments." —George Orwell, "Animal Farm"

"The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared." —Lois Lowry, "The Giver"

"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness, I want sin." —Aldous Huxley, "Brave New World"

"Sometimes it seemed to him that his life was delicate as a dandelion. One little puff from any direction, and it was blown to bits." —Katherine Paterson, "Bridge to Terabithia"

"And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good." —John Steinbeck, "East of Eden"

—J.K. Rowling, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"

"I'm a slave to my emotions, to my likes, to my hatred of boredom, to most of my desires." —F. Scott Fitzgerald, "This Side of Paradise"

"This is your life and it's ending one moment at a time." —Chuck Palahniuk, "Fight Club"

"There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive." —Jack London, "The Call of the Wild"

"It always shocked me when I realized that I wasn't the only person in the world who thought and felt such strange and awful things." —John Green," Looking for Alaska"

"One may smile, and smile, and be a villain." —William Shakespeare, "Hamlet"

—Ray Bradbury, "Fahrenheit 451"

"'Poor Earthworm,' the Ladybird said, whispering in James's ear. 'He loves to make everything into a disaster. He hates to be happy. He is only happy when he is gloomy.'" —Roald Dahl, "James and the Giant Peach"

"He had a word, too. Love, he called it. But I had been used to words for a long time. I knew that that word was like the others: just a shape to fill a lack; that when the right time came, you wouldn't need a word for that any more than for pride or fear." —William Faulkner, "As I Lay Dying"

"Disintegration—I’m taking it in stride." —Bret Easton Ellis, "American Psycho"

"I cannot make you understand. I cannot make anyone understand what is happening inside me. I cannot even explain it to myself." —Franz Kafka, "The Metamorphosis"

"When he smiled the fear flew away in little pieces of light…" —William S. Burroughs, "The Naked Lunch"

—Tim O'Brien, "The Things They Carried"

"I need to be alone. I need to ponder my shame and my despair in seclusion; I need the sunshine and the paving stones of the streets without companions, without conversation, face to face with myself, with only the music of my heart for company." —Henry Miller, "Tropic of Cancer"

"I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, 'This is what it is to be happy.'" —Sylvia Plath, "The Bell Jar"

"Nothing captures human interest more than human tragedy." —Dan Brown, "Angels & Demons"

"It is as inhuman to be totally good as it is to be totally evil." —Anthony Burgess, "A Clockwork Orange"

"I mean, maybe I am crazy. I mean, maybe. But if this is all there is, then I don't want to be sane." —Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"

—J.D. Salinger, "The Catcher in the Rye"

"We'll just have to get along. That's what people do, you know? They just get along. And try to help each other." —Steven King, "Cujo"

"I don't know what's worse: to not know what you are and be happy, or to become what you’ve always wanted to be, and feel alone." —Daniel Keyes, "Flowers for Algernon"

"She is a friend of my mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order." —Toni Morrison, "Beloved"

"All I know is this: nobody's very big in the first place, and it looks to me like everybody spends their whole life tearing everybody else down." —Ken Kesey, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

"As long as you live, there's always something waiting; and even if it's bad, and you know it's bad, what can you do? You can't stop living." —Truman Capote, "In Cold Blood"

—Herman Melville, "Moby Dick"

The reality of these quotes is jarring, right? How many resonate with you because you know the feelings they're describing all too well? Depending on what country you're in, you won’t find these books in the library. And that’s a shame, because you will find their contents in the many stages of life.

I'll leave you with this last oh-so-real quote from one of the most famously banned books, Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray": "The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."