50 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

50 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

Welcome to the real world.

8
50 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen
Kayla Reed

Freshmen, you are going through a life changing experience. You'll have your ups and downs, but I promise you some of the greatest years of your life are getting started. College is an amazing time. Welcome to your first taste of the real world.

1. First, take a deep breath. This is quite the transition period, but you're going to make it!

2. Athletes: Set multiple alarms for early morning weights. You do not want to be late. On time means 15 minutes early.

3. Set multiple alarms for class. Just set multiple alarms every time.

4. Early morning classes will suck, but getting done with your day early is worth it.

5. Bring lots of sweatpants. College is a judge-free zone.

6. You'll learn to nap at any time, even if it's just for 10 minutes.

7. If you're not a morning person or just someone who values their sleep, breakfast is going to have to be quick. Grab a granola bar and go.

8. Honestly, sleep in your clothes you're going to wear to your morning class. No shame.

9. If you're living on campus, get to know your roommate. After all, you are living with them.

10. Stay organized! It will help you so much.

11. Try your best not to procrastinate. Assignments sneak up real quick.

12. The library is actually fun and sometimes a social place, but remember to study too.

13. Don't buy your books! Rent them. Chegg and Amazon are both good.

14. Don't buy your books till after you go to the class. Chances are, you won't even need the book.

15. Befriend upperclassmen. They'll have old assignments from the classes you're taking, and are always a great source of help.

16. Get to know people! Branch out.

17. If you have time, join a club. It's super easy and will look good on resumes.

18. Don't stress over not knowing your major.

19. The cafeteria can be dangerous. Do not overeat (easier said than done).

20. Refer to 19: Freshman 15 is a real thing.

21. Get to know your professors. They want you to succeed and are more than willing to help (most of them).

22. Bring a fridge and microwave if you're on campus. They'll come in handy.

23. Don't park near the baseball or softball fields unless you want the risk of a broken windshield.

24. Be on the lookout for free prizes and giveaways your school offers. Some of them are pretty good deals.

25. Everyone will fall asleep in class at some point. Don't judge. That'll be you, too.

26. Invest in a planner.

27. Take time to go out. It'll keep you sane.

28. Know when enough is enough, and when it's time to stay in.

29. Exercise when you can!

30. Find someone you can vent to. College is an emotional time.

31. Make all your passwords for everything the same.

32. Sparknotes.

33. Your student ID get you in everywhere. Don't lose it!

34. Always have a backup plan. Always.

35. Call your parents often. You will miss them.

36. Study, study, study!

37. Make smart decisions, especially if you're at a smaller campus. Word spreads around quick.

38. Don't settle for the very first person you may like.

39. If you're going to make mistakes, make them your freshman year.

40. You might not think you'll need the RA's number, but you will.

41. Get campus safety's number, too.

42. Try to start saving money now if you haven't already started to.

43. If you're going to blow all your money, at least blow it on something worth it.

44. Always bring snacks to class.

45, Don't be that person who complains about their grades.

46. Make sure all your relatives have your new address. Care packages are the best.

47. You'll use your email account more now than you ever have. Constantly check your school email!

48. All-nighters used to be cool. Not anymore. Get used to it.

49. If you're unhappy after this year with where you are at or what it is that you are doing, make the change in your life. Don't be miserable just to please others.

50. This is the time to be your self. It's a fresh start. Live it up.