5 Ways To Save Money Over the Summer

Being a college student makes it really difficult to make money. Summer jobs give you experience and great pay, but once classes start you struggle to maintain the same number of hours- if you have time to maintain a job at all. This means that it's crucial to put money aside during the summer so that the school year doesn't leave you painfully broke and having to turn down fun plans because of a lack of money. Here's a few ways that you can save money over the summer so that you aren't left broke later on!

1. Make a savings plan (and put it in print!)

This seems like common sense, but it's a lot easier to track your spending habits if you create a spreadsheet or use an app to remind you to save money. It also helps to mark down what you're spending your money on, so you know what areas you have to cut back in the most and how far you are from reaching your goal.

2. Cut the eating out

While I find it impossible to totally cut eating out from my weekly agenda (it's a fun, easy way to get together with friends and try new things), a good goal is to try to cut how much you spend when you're out. I find that eating a snack before I leave helps me order cheaper options once I get to the restaurant. I also try to take advantage of coupons and gift cards, or convince my friends to eat in for the night! And if you're alone, try to recreate the dish you're craving from your favorite restaurant (I promise it will be cheaper).

3. Take advantage of student deals

Apps like Unidays and other student discount websites help to put them all in one place, but you can also find them by just looking up the name of what you're shopping for and "student discount". A lot of places will also offer you a discount for showing your student ID, so always carry it around and ask the cashier or customer service representative. There aren't many financial perks of being a college student, so take advantage of the few that you can!

4. Donate clothes

This may seem counterintuitive as you're getting rid of things, but I find that going through my closet helps me realize how much I already have to wear. By getting rid of things that no longer fit or don't match your style, you'll find less of a reason to go out and buy more. Besides, you can take your things to a local consignment store or try to sell them on a website like Poshmark or eBay to make some extra cash!

5. Share, share, share!

I often find myself seeing something my friend has and thinking "Oh, I want one of those", and going and buying it for myself. Instead, ask your friend if you can borrow her pink shirt or that cute pair of shoes, and chances are she'll be happy to give it to you and might even borrow something in return!