5 Ways To Interact With A Person Who Is Blind

If you’re going to be of help to a blind person, there are a few things that you should consider.

296
All About Vision

Okay, I do not want to be unappreciative, because that is not in my nature. However, I do feel the need to say this…

While I am extremely thankful for those very few individuals who take the time out of their day to assist persons who are blind, I don’t, however, appreciate being pushed around like a bowling ball…

Please be considerate when you offer your help. We are appreciative, but there is a lot to remember when helping someone who is blind.

When you see a blind individual going somewhere, and you want to help them get to that particular destination… (whether they’re walking through the halls of your school, or maybe even crossing the street)… NEVER, EVER, grab them and just start walking!! Though you may think you’re helping them, believe it or not: you’re actually putting us in danger.

Because of the simple fact that some, but not all, blind people can kind of see what you’re doing, and can stop you... the rest of us, however, cannot react fast enough to let you know that we do, or don’t need help. So, it is imperative that before you just walk up to a blind person when you think they need “saving”, you should ask them if they do, indeed, need your help.

When you see a blind individual walking through a doorway, and you feel inclined to hold the door open for them… PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let the person know that you’re doing so! Considering the fact this happened to me, and I almost got my head smacked with the door… I cannot express how VERY important it is to communicate with people, especially if the person is blind and you want to help them out.

If you see a person who is blind or visually impaired walking with a white cane, it is highly inappropriate for you to play “jump rope” or “limbo” with it. The cane isn’t a toy, and shouldn’t be made out to be.

If you are walking by someone who is blind or visually impaired (or even sighted) and they have their bag open, DO NOT just go up to them and proceed to shut it… It is not safe for the person whom you intend to assist, or you for that matter.

If you are offering a service to an individual who is blind or visually impaired, speak directly to us. Do not just talk over our heads like we’re not even there. Example… let’s say I’m in a restaurant with a friend or family member, and you (the server) walk up to our table and say, “What would she like to order?” Don’t ignore our attempts to answer for ourselves.

I think that’s about it for now! So, I ask of you: when you see a blind person, and you want to help them… TELL THEM THAT