5 Ways To Handle The Stresses Of Earning Your Degree From Your Childhood Bedroom

We can admit the switch to online courses has been a burden on us all, so here are some ways to ease some of that pressure.

47
Photo by Erik Mclean on Unsplash

It feels like it was a lifetime ago that I could walk into class to see friends waving by our unofficial assigned seats. Sitting, talking, and enjoying the company of one another without considering masks or social distancing. Then class would begin and the professor would begin to lecture on whatever course material we were going over that day. You could easily ask questions and express your thoughts. The whole experience was more personal and intimate and allowed us the chance to learn and grow through the help from our professors and peers. However, for at least another semester many of us may still be stuck completing classes in our pink or blue walled bedroom from when we were younger. It's hard, that is one thing we can all agree on.

Here are 5 ways to possibly relieve yourself from the heavy load of stress on your shoulders while you're at home.

1. Change of Atmosphere

I understand when your 9am Zoom comes around you want nothing more than to stay cuddled in your sheets while only half listening to the lecture. However, in the long run of the fifteen week semester it would only help you to sit at your desk or at the dining table. You wouldn't be as likely to fall asleep and you may be able to focus more once you're sitting up.

2. Phones Away

If you are anything like me, you only remember bits of your zoom lecture because you were a little too busy watching TikToks or replying to Snapchats. It really does help to stay off your phone, it's one less distraction. Just keeping it across the room can do the trick.

3. Study, Study, Study

I get it, when classes moved online, our studying habits decreased. Professors made exams open note and you probably weren't in such a hurry to memorize the information when you have notes to look at. Although, I feel the studying I have done has helped me immensely. Knowing the material before starting an exam relieves me of a lot of pent up stress, you don't have to rummage through endless notes and power points.

4. Have a Routine

Believe it or not, it is helpful to keep a daily routine. Outside of class work, everyday make your bed, have that cup of coffee, take some time for you. We need to remember to not let classes consume us, we all have a life and deserve to live it how we want even with these issues along the way.

5. Contact Professors

I didn't expect to speak one on one with my professors this semester. However due to getting COVID-19, I had to keep them updated with how I was feeling with my health and with completing assignments. Through these emails it taught me that they are people too. They are much more understanding than we like to think. Introducing ourselves to them gives them the feeling that we want to learn even under these circumstances.