5 Ways To Make Long Commutes More Enjoyable

Drive safe but enjoy the drive.

1666
Instagram

When I first found out I would be moving to Mountain Home, Idaho, the first thing I did was look for the closest college in my area. It didn’t take long for me to find out that there wasn’t a college available closer than around 50 miles away. In theory, I didn’t think that was so bad. Sure it’s a bit of a drive but it could have been worse, I thought. There are plenty of people who have to deal with long commutes for jobs and other commitments.

What I didn’t know was how tiring that commute can get. Especially early in the morning when you are already wanting the day to end and to be back in the warm bed. It’s hard to just sit in the seat and stare at the road for what feels like forever. So, through my experience and others preferences, I have found 5 ways to make a long commute more enjoyable.

Also, by enjoyable, I don’t mean attention-drawing. I’m not about to suggest to check facebook, or emails, or try to finish your homework while you are driving. These are all things that can make time go by a little faster as you are still focusing on the road. So let’s get started, and drive safe!

1. Have your own personal concert

That’s right. Whether you are by yourself or driving with friends, this is a sure fire way to make a long drive more fun. It’s your car, your safe space. So, feel free to turn up that music as loud as you want to so you don’t hear your voice crack when you try to get the high note. As far as you can tell, you crushed it. Own that car seat like a singer would own the stage and be your own Beyonce.

2. Listen to an audiobook

When I was younger and would take trips to Albuquerque with my mom, which was three hours away from my hometown of Roswell, she would buy one audiobook from the “Harry Potter” series. I would sometimes fall asleep and we would never actually finish the book by the time we got home but I still loved listening to them while we endured the long drive of literally nothing. My siblings still listen to audiobooks today while they are going through their commutes. My brother reading James Patterson mysteries and my sister has been reading a book series where the men have Scottish accents. That’ll keep you enticed for the half an hour drive till you get to work.

3. Snack in the car

Our moms might frown upon this, but I think it’s OK to eat in the car now. Don’t go and get yourself a three-course steak meal to-go. Just set aside a special snack that you keep in the glove compartment when you are feeling like you could use a little something. My choice would be Nutter Butters, chocolate covered pretzels, or chips of probably any kind. So get yourself a treat! Have some popcorn or, (in the spirit of the season) some good ‘ol fashioned Girl Scout Cookies. You probably deserve it after a long day.

4. Podcasts

Something that seems to be wildly popular these days is Podcasts. People talk about listening to it while they are getting dressed, putting their makeup on, or while they are driving. There seems to be a podcast for every genre or subject out there. So, if you are feeling up for some thoughts and discussion to distract you from your hectic day, then stream or download yourself a Podcast.

5. Quiet Time

Quiet moments might be few and far in between for some people. Sometimes the best thing for a car ride is to turn the music off and give yourself some quiet time. If you're a student maybe you can practice a speech or repeat some mnemonic device that you have practiced for a test. If you are coming from a day at the office, maybe you had a stressful day and want to yell a little bit and reenact what you really wanted to say to that coworker. Maybe you spend that time talking to the big man upstairs. Either way, you can take this moment for yourself and collect your thoughts and feelings about the day. Then, depending on those thoughts and feelings, go home and watch the newest Netflix original that you know is good but can’t pinpoint why.

So, I have given you the tools for an enjoyable commute. Turn up the music or the book. Pick out your favorite Podcast while you have one hand on the wheel and another hand in a bag of pretzels. Again, paying attention to the road is important, but that doesn’t mean you have to blankly stare at the car in front of you. Drive safe but enjoy the drive.