5 Ways To Fall In Love With Valentine's Day

Cheesy cards, flowers, and candies oh my!

17
Taste of Home

Soon last minute cheesy Hallmark cards, expensive/overrated chocolate, over-sized teddy bears and dozens of roses will be flying off the shelves. The dreadful day is upon us! (The dramatics, I know...) Lovey-dovey, mushy gooshy...there are so many reasons to hate this day due to the fact that every person you know in a relationship will post a sentimental "I love you" post on social media, the restaurants that you try to go to will be filled with googly-eyed teenagers who think they are "in love" when in reality, their parents just dropped them off, or just the time of year that everyone becomes slightly desperate to be in a relationship because no one wants to be alone on Valentine's Day. Yeah, I said it...Valentine's Day (dun, dun, dunnnn...)

Personally, I have always loved Valentine's Day! You may be thinking, "What the crap? She totally played us with that intro! I thought she was on my side." (Or something to that extent, right?) Here are ways of loving (or slightly appreciating) Valentine's Day if you are in a relationship vs if you are not in a relationship. (As told by someone who has seen both sides of this day.)

If you are in a relationship (obvious reasons)...

1. Cheesy social media posts

Don't you just love gushing about your significant other? It's like who doesn't love reading your 3 paragraph long saga about your amazing love for each other? Let me answer that for you...no one! But, you continue to do it every year. AND! The even more amazing part is people still comment "D8" or "#goals" on your post. #sharethelove #XOXO #I'mdone

2. Plan a big date and wait for hours to get seated

It's like a zombie apocalypse is upon us and chased all of mankind to nicer non-fast food restaurants. You anxiously wait to feel the buzzer go off before attempting to eat all of the free mints, peanuts or your hand... (Hey, when you are hungry, your hungry right?) Once you finally get seated you thank God and stuff your face in the food. Was it worth it? Not sure... I'm going to be honest, all I want this year for food is a heart-shaped pizza from Papa Johns or Chinese takeout. Chop sticks anyone?

3. Flowers adorn your desk

It's almost expected nowadays that one person in the relationship sends flowers to work or school. I can't count the amount of times that I either see a floral delivery truck or a plethora of bouquets of flowers at the delivery desk at school. I am not a traditionalist to like red roses. They are overrated and frankly I don't think they are that pretty. I love a nice arrangement with a variety of flowers. And if the bouquet is made out of chicken nuggets or chocolate covered strawberries, I'm yours.

4. You read the card once and don't again

I don't know about you, but once I read a Valentine's Day card I usually don't read it again. But I put it next to my flowers to make it seem sincere. Half the time the card gets tossed in the garbage can. Whoops. Look, all I'm saying is that I could do with a nice note on a napkin, piece of paper, or from the heart verbally. I don't get the big fuss about cards...maybe I should ask my grandma. (PS- I would actually appreciate the card above)

5. There's a secret competition between the cutest "goals" couples

Who did it best? Snapchat will show all of the "Oh my gosh, look who surprised me with flowers that I knew I was going to get because I picked them out!" pictures, all of the posed pictures, kissing selfies or the surprise "he got me a couples massage" shocker...stop me before I vom. You are not going to be People's next "Who does it better?" section in their magazine. We aren't in Bride Wars...give up the competition. Look, I'm all about being a cute couple, but I'm going to do it in a totally real way. If I look ugly in a post, babe go ahead and post it! Basically I don't care what people think as long as my significant other loves me for me! I don't care about competing for the best, I care about having the best relationship and treating him with the best of care. Doesn't matter how much money you have or the great gifts you get/give, it is about the time you spend together. My mamma always told me, "We have more time than we do money" and that "Love is what makes a family happy." Preach it!

If you are happily single and not caring to mingle...

1. You take "treat yo'self" to a whole other level

A whole cheesecake just for me? Oh I shouldn't have! Shopping spree...no biggy, I deserve it! Delivered food of my choice, wow I am spoiled with love! Girl, I get you! There's nothing more that I would rather do than treat myself to the love I deserve. You deserve the best too! Pull out all the stops! Rent a limo to drop you off at every class! Sure why not?! Just be sure to arrive in style! Remember, no one loves you more than yourself! Own it! Just as much as the guy above!

2. Date night = Netflix and chill with chocolate (the one who will always be there for you)

Single? Who cares! Then you don't have to fight about what show to watch. Take your bra off, slip into your jammies, slather on a mask, put your hair up, cuddle up in a blanket and share the evening with the three best things: Netflix, chocolate, and you. Name a better iconic trio than that? I'm waiting... Look ladies, I see you and I appreciate you! Don't forget to date the best person there is out there! Date night = success night. Makeout with chocolate > anything else. (Chocolate stash? I think so!) You don't have to worry about an awkward date, waiting to be seated, or being desperate for a date...you are independently and wonderfully you!

3. You mock those who are happily in a relationship...not bitter at all (right?!)

You scroll through social media liking, commenting, and hating on everyone in a happy relationship. Here's what I think you should do! Selfie it up with your natural and best half out there! Yourself! I'm saying that a lot, but you will have a successful night if you don't worry about being single, checking Tinder every few minutes, or think about "what ifs". Your day will come! If it doesn't, so what! Just as long as you are happy. That is all that matters.

4. You couldn't love anyone else more than you love yourself

Duh! Enough said! Haters will hate, but love yourself the way it is! Single and all! Celebrate!

5. Best part of Valentine's Day you ask? On sale candy the day after!

Ever go to Walmart or Target on February 15th? YOU SHOULD! All of the expensive, overrated chocolates and candies are on sale because they want to get rid of them! Is this what heaven is like? Indulge in the truffles, the caramel, the peanut butter...basically anything covered in chocolate. If its a heart shape, it is going in my belly. Workout starts tomorrow...right?

Whichever side of Valentine's Day you see, you should take time to love yourself and others around you. Whether you have a hot date planned, a "gal"entine's date, or even a date with yourself, embrace the love! Most importantly, I don't think we should limit this love to a single day! I think we need to remember and love everyone around us every day! Encouraging words, hugs during tough times, hugs during happy times, support, laughter, genuine care, however you recieve or give love, it is important to tap into it every once in a while. Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I promise it won't be as bad as you think! Indulge in the love. XOXO. Hugs and kisses. Lots of love!