5 (Virtual) Holiday Hangout Ideas That Won't Put You On The Naughty List

This holiday season, put friends and family on the top of your wishlist.

88

For those of us that won't be seeing friends or family this holiday season, here is a list of some fun virtual hangout ideas!

1. Secret Santa 🎅

red bauble on brown giftbox Photo by Mel Poole on Unsplash

If you really want to go all-in and keep up the annual tradition, there are a few trips that can make this work! If you live nearby each other, your best bet is for each to person to make a list of times they won't be home and drop their gift off outside their door. Otherwise, you can order your gift online and have it sent directly to your friend! In both scenarios, have your unopened gifts ready, get on a Zoom call, and proceed as usual! To streamline the process, use an online secret Santa generator that will automatically randomize names and create wishlists. Plus, if you use it next year as well, the site will make sure no one gets the same person!

2. Zoom + Tele Party 🍿

This is classic, so you know the drill with our most entertaining Chrome extension known as TeleParty (formerly called Netflix Party). But, adding the Zoom makes sure you don't miss out on the true comedic commentary from your friends as you watch that cheesy holiday movie.

3. Hot Chocolate Partayyy ☕

brown ceramic mug with coffee Photo by Buse Doga Ay on Unsplash

Spill the tea over this classic holiday drink! Sit and chat while you sip this comforting drink, or even make it together! For some great twists on the traditional hot chocolate recipe, click here. (Nutella hot chocolate, anyone?). And, don't forget to get your best mugs ready because there's nothing like a memorable Zoom screenshot with the cutest faces and the cutest mugs!

4. Online Gaming Session 🎪🎠

If your squad is into games, there's nothing stopping you from keeping that up! Play hangman with skribbl.io or play card games like Uno. Or, join a multi-use website like Backyard (free to use until 2021) that allows you to video chat and play a game of your choice at the same time!

5. Bake-off!

snowman cookies Photo by Yulian Karadzhov on Unsplash

Get your laptop/tablet and charger ready, because this one's gonna be a while! Decide on a recipe that you all want to cook or bake, and do it together! Some simple ideas include mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, brownies, and gingerbread cookies. It doesn't have to be a competition, but if you want to turn it into one, you can grade on funny criteria such as gooeyness (for the mac and cheese) or softness (for the cookies).

P.S. If this turns into an argument of whose brownies are better, please don't blame me.

Although this holiday season may be different, take every opportunity you can to truly live in the moment, laugh, and spend it with those you love - even if it can't be in person.

💖