What To Do When You're Feeling Homesick

What To Do When You're Feeling Homesick

Are you a college freshman missing you own bed, your pets, and your parents? You're not alone. Here's what to do when your homesickness is getting you down.

13
What To Do When You're Feeling Homesick

The first semester of college can be difficult. You're adapting to a whole new world, finding out who you are and who you want to be, but you're on your own. At first, it's incredible! There is so much freedom and possibility! But after a while, you begin to miss your own bed, your pets, and your mom's home-made chicken noodle soup...

If you're like me and the thousands of other college students, you don't have the option to go home every weekend. You can't see your parents or your dogs whenever you want. So, what are you supposed to do when you're feeling down in the dumps? Here are a few helpful tips that I've learned so far.

1. Spend time with friends

The friends you make throughout your time and college are going to stay with you forever. Even after just a few days, they become your second family! So go out to dinner with a group, go see a movie, or just hang out in the dorms and begin making some great memories!

2. Re-arrange your room

If your room isn't comfortable or set up to your liking, then change it! You're going to quickly become homesick if you don't like where you're currently living.

3. Look through pictures

Reminiscing on old memories can bring back the comfort of home which can be just what you need to get you through the day.

4. Go exploring

Your campus may not feel like home yet so get out more! Go for a walk around campus or the town and find a spot where you can get some alone time or a place that reminds you of home if you ever need a quick getaway from university life.

5. Call your parents!

Your parents miss you more than you miss them! Life gets busy so set up a weekly time where you can talk so you can update each other about your lives!