5 Tips I Have Learned When Transferring Over To Online Schooling.

During these times, colleges all over are canceling in person classes and moving to online schooling. Here are some things I have learned that make it a little easier.

11

Although online classes are not ideal, I have been trying to come up with tricks and tips that would help the average student get through the rest of the semester unscathed. From one college student to another, I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I am sorry that your semester was taken away from you and many of you are struggling with continuing classes because of certain circumstances. I believe in you, and we will get through this together.

Make a weekly schedule with the due dates to all of your assignments. 

Whether you have specific meeting times or all of your assignments are due at random, writing them all down in a notebook or calendar helps me stay organized and prepared. Highlight when certain things have to be done by and have stay updated on alerts.

Try to complete assignments before they are due. 

One of the hardest things about going online is that most of my assignments are now due at random dates. Something that I like to do is make sure my assignments are done the day they would have been due if I was in class. For example, if I would have been in class tomorrow morning to discuss a reading I would have it completed by tonight. Keeping up with a school schedule has kept me not only a bit more organized but motivated to get everything done.

Location is key to paying attention. 

There are many people who are not lucky to be in a living environment where they can sit down and peacefully do their homework/ online classes. My advice is to find a (if possible) quite place and do the work you know you will be able to pay attention to. I have a hard time doing school work in my bedroom, so I often move around the house so I can keep my attention.

Do your work at a time that works best for you. 

Not to counter my advice stated before, but if you are the type of person that likes to do work at night then do what works best for you. I am not a morning person, so I often find myself reading and completing essays at night. Find a work pattern that bests fits you and your lifestyle, anything to make the process of completing school work easier.

You are not alone in this. 

In spite of social distancing, you are not alone. There are millions of college students that are revolving around the same process. Every single one of you matter. Your focus has to be on you and your loved ones before school can come in to play, and during these times it is okay to figure out your own necessities. If you are struggling with online classes, reach out to a friend or loved one. Continue to talk and socialize (online or at a distance) with those around you so you do not isolate yourself. Now is the time for communication and figuring it all out.

As a reminder: do not let online classes take over your life. Put your mental and physical health before any of this. You are the most important, not your grades.