5 Tips for Incoming Freshman

5 Tips for Incoming Freshman

Sincerely, someone who just finished their first year of college

9
5 Tips for Incoming Freshman
Wikipedia

5 Tips for Incoming Freshman

Sincerely, a person who just finished their 1st year of college.

No matter where you go, college is an adjustment. I didn’t have friends that were already in college to tell me what to expect or anything. And my parents went to college 20 years ago when things were different, so their advice wasn’t very useful. I went into my first semester not knowing anything, anybody, or what to do. It was an anxious time, but as the first semester flew by (and yours will too). Things got easier. College is indeed a time for learning. Over the course of 2 semesters, I learned more than I did in my 4 years of high school. So I figured I’d share some of the few tips and pointers I learned along the way.

• Absolutely NO 8 a.m. classes.
    • In high school, I used to wake up at 5:45a.m. and get ready to leave the house by 6:45a.m. I just figured I was naturally a morning person. Luckily, I never took any 8a.m.’s but I did have classes at 9:30a.m. And even for those classes, I was dragging my feet all the way to the humanities building. The difference is that in high school, you’d get home and you’d be tired. But in college, you’re straight up exhausted from all of the concentration and brain power your using, even just for one class. So I advise you, no 8a.m. classes, even though “getting all your classes out of the way” seems appealing. You’ll thank me later.
  • Find the cheapest way to obtain books.
    • Unlike high school, you don’t just get to rent books from the library. You have to buy the textbook which most are over $120, and is a disappointment when you find your professor doesn’t even use the book. Or you have to pay to rent a textbook, which is cheaper but it still adds up. My first semester, I went ahead and bought all my books only later to find out that I couldn’t resell loose-leaf textbooks. So right now, I have two $100 books sitting in my house for no reason. But I shaped up my second semester and compared prices between the student store, Amazon, and Chegg. I ended up renting all of my textbooks from Amazon which turned out to be way cheaper. College is expensive, find any way you can to save money.
  • Get involved.
    • A lot of college campuses have tons of clubs and organizations. Whether you’re interested in Greek life or social justice, there will always be something for you to be involved in. I know it sounds cliché, but you’ll find your niche through getting involved. You’ll make more friends and more connections. Not to mention, it’s something to put on your resume!
  • Going to the library almost every weekend doesn’t make you a nerd.
    • Whether it seems like it or not, everyone on your campus is there for the same reason: education. In high school, people are quick to judge nerds and overachievers as the people who study a lot and put their education first. However, people in college are less inclined to be judgmental mainly because everyone is there to do their own thing and doesn’t really worry about others. This was the most refreshing thing about college for me. Study sessions at the library are essential, especially during midterms and finals weeks. Plus, it never hurts to have a study buddy or two. If you’re paying as much as you are for your education, wouldn’t you want to get the best results?
  • Enjoy it. (Even the dorms and the dining center)
    • The first year goes by quick. If you lived or are going to live in a dorm like I did that was only a small room with two beds, there’s no doubt you’ll be sick of it by the end of the school year. But as you leave and pack up all your things there will be a strong sense of nostalgia that makes it hard to say goodbye to. I found that I didn’t really want to leave as I had met many of my friends on that floor of the dorm building. And even the dining center, which disappointed me more often than not, but next year in an apartment, there will be no one to serve me tater tots or pancakes. I will have to be independent. Enjoy your first year of college, go out and explore and be social! You won’t want to miss it.