5 Tips For Every College Student Purchasing TextBooks

Textbook shopping can be nothing but stressful, especially when you see the prices, here are some tips that just may help.

1247
google image

It is not uncommon to feel a sense of dread when you are waiting for your new semester textbook list to come in. I know for one, that the prices they give us are way too expensive for most college students working their way through school. With education comes a price, many would say. However, it comes to a point where things need to change. When you are spending $600-700 a semester on books, that to be honest you will probably only use three times the entire semester, which has happened to me almost every semester, is ridiculous. Most the time, many classes only require the online access codes which is what makes the book expensive. There should be a way to lower the prices of your book while still getting the online access. I have learned, when it comes to textbooks, the university's bookstore should be your last option. Here are some tips when textbook shopping.

1) Never, Never, Never Buy Textbooks at the School's Bookstore!

I have learned that the school’s bookstore tends to be way overpriced. I mean, this semester the cheapest textbook I need without an access code is still over $60. Now, $60 may not seem like a lot but when you are taking five or six classes and each class requires two or three books with varying prices, it adds up. I understand the need to keep the bookstore afloat, but when a simple 300 page, paperback book is $65, the price is a bit extreme.

2) When Asked: New or Used? Always Try to Go with Used.

I know the idea of buying a used, marked up book can easily deter people’s interests, but saving twenty or thirty dollars is always the smart choice. For the most part, if you are purchasing a used book, the likelihood that the book is in good condition is high. Most bookstores will not accept certain books; for example, if the binding is loose or if the pages are ripped out. In all likelihood, the book is as good as new. However, if you are in need of an access code, the choice to buy a used copy lowers drastically.

3) Try to Buy from Your Friends.

I am so guilty of this! Many of the times when you have friends in the same field as you or even if you are still taking your prerequisites, purchasing their used books can save you a lot of money. Being your friends and all, you may even get their notes along with it. It’s like shopping at small businesses, you are helping out the little people. You get a cheap book with good quality notes and your friend gets a little spending money. All in all, everyone wins.

4) Check out other bookstores for cheaper prices!

Everyone loves clearance shopping. Clearance book shopping is no different. Half-Priced Books, Amazon.com, and even Barnes & Nobles can be great resources when trying to find affordable prices for textbooks. Also, for Amazon, if you use your student email, you qualify for amazon prime which means free shipping! Half-Priced Books may not help if you need an access code but for other common textbooks you may just find what you are looking for.

5) When in doubt, Rent the Book!

If given the option of purchasing a book or renting it, always try to rent it! Even if the price difference isn’t that much, you will most likely never need that textbook again. Of course, you can always buy it and sell it off to your friend!! Or you can turn it back into the bookstore for some quick cash. Half-Priced books will also pay you for your used textbooks.

When purchasing textbooks for school, it can be quite stressful, however, just try to think of all your options and if all else fails, your school’s bookstore has what you need. For everyone out textbook shopping, good luck!