5 Tips To Build Credibility As A Music Producer

If you want other artists to take you seriously, you should do what you can to increase your credibility and display your professionalism.

162
YouTube.com

Building credibility as a music producer can be tough. There's a lot to learn and multiple steps to gain credibility as a music producer. One of the main things that pertains to the strategies in this list is consistency. Being consistent will not only show that you're serious, but will also help you stay in the eyes of your audience, which will make you more likely to be noticed.

1. Networking with other artists

I feel that networking with other artists is very important to gaining credibility as a music producer. Talking to other artists and getting to know them can open up a lot of opportunities for you to pursue. Networking will also get you more in touch with the music community and can help you learn more about music and producing as a whole. Ultimately, networking with other artist is extremely important to learning and getting more exposure.

2. Consistently posting your music online

If you consistently post your music online, whether it be on Soundcloud or Bandcamp, you'll have a public portfolio of your work that you can share on social media to help build a following. If you can develop a system that allows you to post music consistently, other artists will see you're serious about music and, in turn, will be more inclined to work with you if they like what you make.

If anything, you want to have a portfolio of work online to show people your style and what you're capable of. So start building it now!

3. Staying active on social media

Staying active on social media and engaging with other artists in the music community is a great way to get noticed and help build a fan base. This will also allow you to network and get in touch with other like-minded creators. If you can be active and post at least one thing every day on your social media pages, your profiles will have more exposure and will be noticed more often.

One caveat to this is to NOT be a spammer. Don't tweet hundreds of tweets just posting your Soundcloud link telling people to check out your music. I'm gonna be honest, no one likes it; it's super annoying, and it just makes you look foolish. So don't do it. Put in the time to properly utilize social media and don't take the lazy spamming route and your work will pay off.

4. Learn as much as you can so you know what you're doing

One of the main things you can do to boost your credibility as a music producer is to learn as much as you can about the production process and the basic terminology that's involved. Having the proper knowledge of music production presents yourself more professionally and helps convince people that you know what you're doing.

Plus the more you learn, the further you can improve your work and better utilize the tools you have available to you.

5. Constantly working on improving your craft

If you're constantly striving to make the quality of your work better, people are going to notice. The more you practice making music and getting familiar with your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software, the easier it will become to do. It will also allow you to really improve the sound and quality of the music you make.

Music production takes a lot of time and effort. There's always something new to learn and constant ways for you to make your work better. It's important to always practice and involve yourself in the process. Not only is increasing your knowledge crucial, but it's vital to building credibility as a music producer.

All-in-all being a music producer takes a lot to build the knowledge and skills necessary to have credibility. Showing consistency in these areas can help you start building credibility as a producer by displaying your seriousness and professionalism, which can make other artists more inclined to work with you.