5 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Earth Day

Because giving back to our planet is important.

26

You may not have a clue as to what this holiday is, or how it came to be, but Earth Day has always been an exciting day for me. Not only does Earth Day fall on my birthday every year, but several great things have happened in our nation as a result of this holiday. When I tell people that I was born on Earth Day, some give me a confused look because they have never heard of it before. So, I thought it was time to share one of my favorite holidays with all of you!

Here's 5 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Earth Day.

1. It's a Global Event

That's right, this is a holiday that happens worldwide. Each year, Earth Day addresses some very important topics and it always takes place on April 22nd.

2. It Has It's Own Website

Each year, specific causes are promoted on the website that you can donate to. This year, deforestation and endangered animals are the primary concern.

http://www.earthday.org/

3. Lots of People Participate

Each year, more than 1 billion people participate in Earth Day activities, which makes it the largest civic observance in the world.

4. The First Earth Day Occurred in 1970

20 million Americans created a day to launch an environmental movement, and it has continued ever since. After the first Earth Day, some incredible things happened: like the passage of the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act. Currently, 141 countries are actively involved in discussing environmental issues on a global level.

5. Being a Part of Earth Day is Simple

Since Earth Day falls on my birthday every year, I go out and buy some type of flower then I plant it! Some people chose to plant trees or start a garden, others recycle, and many donate or have rallies for a great cause: the well-being of our planet.

This day addresses some of the most important environmental challenges that our nation faces. Not only is this a great thing to be a part of, but even the smallest of actions from you personally could help our environment. Build a birdhouse, recycle all of those papers you no longer need, or plant a tree to help our environment today!