5 Things To Do This Summer That Aren't Summer Jobs

A list of five things to do that aren't summer jobs.

6
Pic-Upload

As finals finish for college students and the school year comes to a close, plans for the summer start to develop. Road trips, family vacations, and sadly, work are all things that many students have planned to do this summer. If you're like me, you don't have a lot planned, so you're trying to figure out what you can do. If you are in a rut, here's ideas, that aren't summer jobs, for the summer ahead.

1. Go hiking

With a simple internet search, it's not hard to find some local hiking trails, especially here in Western, PA. My favorite place to hike is probably Beams Rocks in Lincoln Township. There's really pretty views and plenty of rocks to go bouldering on, which reminds me of camp, making me like it much more.

2. Take a road trip

Whether it be for one day, or multiple days, gather some friends and travel together. It could be the bonding that you all needed after spending nine months apart for college. It doesn't even have to cost much, maybe pack a picnic lunch and go to a statepark and spend the day. Maybe even take this road trip and combine it with number 1?

3. Learn something new

This summer could be the perfect chance to go learn something brand new. I plan on acutally figuring out how to play the ukulele. You could learn anything your heart desire. Always wanted to learn to play an instrument or how do a certain hobby? Take advantage of the extra time your hand and figure it out.

4. Hang with friends

Yes, #2 was a way you could be with your friends, but you could also just have a random get together like going for lunch, or having a party at someone's house. If you can't physical be with eachother, take a note from me and my high school friends, and create a giant group message on Facebook Messenger and use that. Also, Messenger has a video calling ability, use that too!

5. Make something

Take advantage of all the time on your hands and make something that you could use for your dorm room. Maybe gather old t-shirts and make a quilt, or get wood and make some storage for on your desk. Then, when you use come August, you can think how proud you are of yourself for making it without failing.

Summer is here for many of us, and we couldn't wait for the day when we finally got to pack up everything and cram it into a vehicle and move out of our tiny dorm rooms. Sadly soon, especially for me, the longing for hubbub and busy school life makes you wish it was already time to go back. Until then, spend time this summer doing something new and exciting, giving you plenty of stories to share when you return to school in the fall. Happy Summer my friends!