5 Things Performance Majors Need To Know

This is for all of the performance majors that need to be reminded of just how great they really are.

119

We all go through ups and down within our majors in college. That's a given, since every twenty-something is just as confused/excited/terrified as the next. Performance majors, though, have a different level of pressure than most other majors. Being a performance major myself, I know exactly the feelings we all experience at some point (mainly because we express our feelings in the most dramatic way possible, so it's hard to miss us when we are feeling something).

We spend our days and nights running back and forth to class, then to rehearsals, and then we spend additional hours in practice rooms, perfecting our craft. Then throw in a job, a social life, homework, sorority events, and actual performances and you've got yourself an emotional breakdown waiting to happen. But, lovely performance majors, you always persevere. Here's some things that I think we all need to know.

1. You are enough.

We are entering into a profession where, day in and day out, we are judged. We're judged on our talent, looks, personality, and experience; nitpicked and critiqued down from the placement of a single note to the color of our audition attire. We go through the brightest highs and the darkest lows, sometimes in the matter of a day. There are some days that we all think, "Will I EVER be enough for these people? What do I have to do to be what they are looking for? Is it even worth it anymore?"

But here's what you need to remember: You. Are. Enough. No matter what the cast list reveals, what the judges say, or what the critics write about your show, you are doing great. Feel accomplished in the simple fact that you get up everyday and put yourself out there. Your talent is special and unique and only YOU possess that...rejoice in the fact that you bring something that no one else has but YOU. Keep being the amazing you that you are...it is perfectly enough.

2. Stop comparing yourself.

Trust in your abilities and skill set. Don't get dragged down if you feel like some of your peers exceed at certain things that you don't. Odds are, you exceed at something that they feel that they lack. If we were already perfect performers, we wouldn't need to be in college. We would already be on Broadway! Remember that we're ALL learning and developing our craft. As the queen, Bernadette Peters, herself says, "You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"

3. Just breathe. Everything will get done.

Yes, I know you've probably overloaded yourself with a multitude of tasks that all need to get accomplished within a single day and you're freaking out that it's not going to get done. In fact, that was me today. And yesterday. And the day before that. It's just what we do! If we weren't busy all of the time, we wouldn't be performance majors. The fact is, we always get it done! So just breathe. You will get it done, and it will exceed expectations because we don't half-ass things. Ever.

4. Don't forget to love and be proud of yourself.

Tell yourself how amazing you are everyday. Believe that your victories, small or large, are worthy of being proud of! Being proud of your accomplishments and loving your talent is not egotistical or self-centered, it is healthy and necessary. Don't be afraid to show yourself the love you need and deserve.

5. Enjoy every moment

Lastly, remember WHY we do this and just enjoy every moment. We do this because we can't live without it. We love it more than we love a lot of things. We wouldn't be who we are without it. So just enjoy. Take every opportunity that comes your way, embrace the highs and lows, relish in the A-HA! moments, and bask in the warm love that surrounds you from your peers and mentors. Do everything with feeling and never stop reaching for dreams. You're a star, pal, and I believe in all that you can do.