5 Things No One Tells You About Senior Year

As if it wasn't hard enough...

31
Ethan Stohs

It's that point in life where I feel like I can FINALLY see the top of the mountain I've been climbing for the past 3 years. Yes kids, senior year is here, and it is ready to consume your soul in the most surprising ways. Whether you choose to take that as "drink more, care less" or "cry every 5 minutes until someone gives you a job," we're all in the same boat, and it's kind of awesome.

Being a full month in, here are the 5 things I've learned that no one told me about my senior year:

1. The comparison game gets REAL.

Beyond the whole "Oh, my GPA is 0.02 better than yours," people are now actually claiming legitimate reasons to seem "better than you." Some people are starting this year with jobs already lined up while others are regretting the past 3 years wondering if it's too late to change majors at this point. Whatever happens, do not get caught up in the comparison game. We're all faking it 'til we make it at this point, so even if someone already has a job and that stresses you out, do not panic -- it's still only September.

2. There's a healthy level of senioritis not caring, and then there's bad actual laziness.

Don't just stop trying because it's the end. You've made it this far; this is your time to end strong and do something to make college worth it -- both professionally and socially. It's healthy to spend at least an hour a week trying to job search, network and still have time to get homework done and hang out with your friends. Keep your crap together people -- WE GOT THIS.

3. Every little thing that stressed you out in earlier years matters 0%.

Remember how you used to stay up til 5 am writing that 3 page paper to get an A in so & so's class? Well now, you're basically a professional, so don't feel bad cranking out an essay in an hour. The most important thing I've learned is to stop stressing about school work. Be responsible and get it done -- you know you can because you've done it so many times before.

4. You're gonna start calling your parents like how they called you freshman year -- all the dang time.

You have real questions about life at this point, and it's time to turn to the experts. I can't tell you how many times I've already been like, "Mom, if I don't cook this for exactly 20 minutes will I die?" and questions of the like. You and your parents' relationship will be so full circle at this point, it's shocking how you didn't take advantage of them this much before.

5. You cry when you least expect it.

Not like, "boohoo I got a D on this chemistry exam." You're over those tears. You'll cry when you realize it's the last time you get to play with your team, sing with your band and even turn in your project. Life gets so different after this, and hopefully, there are nothing but happy tears as you reminisce the past four years of your life at wherever you've decided to call home.

May your senior year be full of great friends, your favorite places and manageable work loads. Don't forget to appreciate and thank those in your life who have made college all worth it.