Lessons My Dad Taught Me

5 Things My Dad Taught Me That I'll Never Forget.

Not including the corny puns and jokes, or the childhood nicknames that he just refuses to let go.

22
Kate Piering

Dad jokes, overprotective tendencies, unnecessary punishments, and an ungodly amount of questions about the slightest thing; it's safe to say that dads are known for them all. My relationship with my dad is one that definitely has its ups and downs, but also one that has taught me things I know will truly stick with me forever.

1. It's Okay To Say "No".

https://www.reddit.com/r/reactiongifs/comments/2d597a/mrw_my_dad_asked_if_he_should_switch_to_comcast/

Many of us have been told "no" by our dad at one point in our lives. Maybe it was because you wanted those new shoes and he said you couldn't swing it, or maybe it was when he ruined your social life by saying you couldn't go on a date with your 6th grade "boyfriend". Ugh! Well, my dad has told me the word "no" so many times that I can distinctly hear him saying it in my mind. While it may not have made me happy all the time, it did show me that there is nothing wrong with saying no. There is nothing "bad" or "unacceptable" about telling someone "no" every once in a while. In fact, it's a good thing to say "no".

2. Work Hard And Smart.

https://cleantechnica.com/2012/01/12/7-ways-to-protect-your-computer-equipment-files/

I know you've heard the saying, "work smarter, not harder". Well, my dad always told me that working hard isn't really ~optional~. Growing up, there was never a time where my dad gave me a shortcut to doing something. Instead, he helped us achieve everything by and for ourselves. We worked hard, pushed ourselves, and found a way to be smart BY working hard, not INSTEAD OF working hard.

3. High Expectations Are NOT A Bad Thing.

Full disclosure: I have said multiple times that my dad expects too much. I have said it in regard to my abilities, the cleanliness of my bedroom, my academics, and even the quality of food in a restaurant. However, I have since learned that there is absolutely nothing wrong with having high expectations that you strive to have met. Set goals that may seem out of reach, then work to fulfill them in a way that you never thought was possible.

4. Never Underestimate The Importance Of A Good Meal.

This one may seem foolish, but I'm serious. I have been rather open about my challenge(s) when it comes to eating, food, and my relationship with full meals. However, my dad has shown me through many years (and meals) that the act of getting together with friends and/or family, eating a dang good meal, and experiencing a social high of an experience can truly make you feel loved and confident.

5. Dads. Know. Everything.

http://bobbleheaddad.com/bobblehead-dad-radio/podcast-dads-daughters-chat-jeff-bogle

I'm not even kidding, guys. It's a crazy superpower, and one that is often kept a secret until you either absolutely need them the most, or until you are randomly talking and you suddenly find out that your dad is weirdly good at physics and can help you with your homework. I know, I know, sometimes it can be frustrating when they seem to always be right despite the extensive amount of times that you have been SURE you were proving them wrong, but they truly do

So, there you have it. The reason why dads - though often strict, annoying, cringe-worthily not funny, and embarrassing/old-fashioned - are also simply the best. There is no question that my relationship with my dad is complicated, frustrating, and sometimes straight out of a CW drama show, but it's also irrevocably and uniquely mine. And I wouldn't change that for the world.