5 Things Children Can Teach Us

5 Things Children Can Teach Us

And we should listen to.

6
5 Things Children Can Teach Us
Rebecca Miller

I work with children every weekday for hours on end. And although they still need to learn much of life, they have certain kinds of knowledge that adults seem to lose as they age, that we should be aware of, and attempt to incorporate back into our way of living.

1. Appreciate the small things

My favorite thing to see (way too early in the morning I might add) is a child grinning ear to ear because they can't wait to tell me about a flower they saw on the walk to camp. Moments like these, and many more, unfortunately seem to be the first thing that people forget to acknowledge the older and more pessimistic we grow. Kids have such a pure and grand view on life, that allows them to see beyond the boring drag of life, and remember not to take for granted a sunny day or disregard a complement as meaningless words.

2. Be interested in everything

By the time we have been seemingly forced to attend 12 years of schooling about subjects we couldn't possibly dream about enjoying, it makes it more difficult to willingly seek out new ideas. But the need to learn shouldn't just dissipate as we age because we feel that we already know everything we need to know. Six year old me would be ecstatic to watch animal planet for hours on end because I wanted to find something cool to tell my parents about, and that eager self betterment view of life is something we should all hold onto.

3. Talk to others

I walked into work and loudly exclaimed "who wants to be my friend this week??". Immediately heads and hands shot up, as 10 year olds decided that we would be best friends in a matter of seconds. I understand that it can prove to be a struggle to hold many close relationships as you age, but that doesn't mean we should become more closed off and less open to the opportunity of new friendship as we age. I can just imagine the looks of disbelief and disgust (haha) I would get if I walked into one of my lectures and posed the same question.

4. Live in the moment

No this does not mean buy a motorcycle DAD. On the contrary, this is more of a simplistic way of exploring the world and expanding your horizons. Similar to yes theory, kids tend to say yes more than no (unless asked about chores), and this mindset allows them to soak up new experiences. If we were more like kids in this manner, we would't be afraid to ask out Jim from sales, or "too tired" to go on a road trip and hang out with friends. Shake your arms, do the wiggle, and try not to take life too seriously, live your life for you.

5. Give out endless amounts of love

Hugs on hugs on hugs. Children grabbing me because we're pretty much besties at this point and them telling me how much they love me, is pretty much life on a daily at work. It surprised me at first, because of the culture of people my age, it seems crazy and mild inappropriate for these children to be so attached to me after a few days. But as I've come to realize, their view on life is just so pure and sweet that if someone is nice to you and shows they care about you on any level, they associate this positivity with love. Which perverse how adults use the term, is honestly a more accurate depiction on the concept of love and how is how it should be. I feel like to identify the actions of people as associations with love is a great idea that allows us to be more open and see the beauty in people. I.e. someone in front of you opening the door for you is clearly not a declaration of love, but it is a small gift they gave to you because they cared whether or not you would have to open the door yourself, and did not want to be forced to undergo this hardship (no matter how small).

So go on and try to live your life incorporating these bits and pieces of insight I've found from children.